TechSpot

Emachines motherboard is toast. What to replace it with?

By aloevera
Jul 9, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wish I'd read the post about the power supply. It destroyed my son's motherboard. It's a T4697. Emachines told me to replace it with their FIC VG33 which is a socket 478 Pentium 4 based on chipset Intel 845GE, FSB 400/533 MHz. Since my son has not backed up his music files, he could just replace it with the VG33 and everything should work.

My question is, do I have to do that? There are some Intel boards that look like they might be better but I'm a real novice. This is an old machine and I don't want to spend a fortune. Do I get a new motherboard/CPU or can I just buy a new motherboard and use the old CPU.

There's an Intel D845GEBV2 S478 533FSB DDR ATX A/V WB Intel Pentium 4 processor in a PGA478 socket with a 400/533 MHz system bus.

It's only $59 from Hyper Microsystems.

Is it okay or should I go for a better model. My son is a musician and his girlfriend does lots of graphics. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Eventually, we'll just have to upgrade to a better machine but for now I just want the thing to work.

2. kpo6969

kpo6969 TS Maniac Posts: 875

3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

4. aloevera

aloevera TS Rookie Topic Starter

Had I only read this sooner.

I read this the other day, after the motherboard was toast. We already replaced the power supply but it was too late. If only I had been reading this forum on a regular basis, we would have know. Oh well, live and learn.

5. aloevera

aloevera TS Rookie Topic Starter

Only needs to last another year.

Thanks. I know this is not the best computer but, I have another son who is traveling for a year. He's the tech person in the family. When he returns, we'll get him to build a computer for us but in the meantime, we need this one to work. I use mine for business and don't want to share.

I can put one of the hard drives into my machine, back up the files, install a new mb and windows XP and put an new mb in his machine. Problem is deciding which one is good. Since the form factor is 9.6 x 9.6 they are limited. Maybe I can just email newegg and ask them which inexpensive board with that form factor will work and is pretty decent.

Wish me luck.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.