eMachines T2385 power button blinks rapidly

Hello all! :)

I am a rook to this forum but somewhat knowledgeable with computers. I seem to be having trouble with our eMachines T2385 computer. I personally hate eMachines and will never buy one. However, this PC was given to us by my mother-in-law because they couldn't get it to work. They said it wouldn't power up anymore and they said that if I can fix it, we can keep it. I thought it would be nice to fix and give to our kids to have a computer that they can play games on. Nothing fancy.

Since it was a powering up issue, I figured it would be a power supply issue. I was right and wrong at the same time. I took my power supply from my PC and put it inside the eMachines and it does power up. However, some strange things seem to be happening.

1) As soon as I plug the power cord from the wall into the power supply, the computer automatically powers up. I don't push the power button whatsoever. I even hold the power button in to power the PC down and it does not respond. It doesn't power down. The only way I get it to power down is by flipping the switch on the back of the power supply.

2) The old power supply got no response from hitting the power button. No fans turning. Nothing. The power supply I put in does get a response. The CPU fan kicks on. The power supply fan kicks on. The HDD powers up. But nothing comes up on the monitor. It remains blank.

I have tried unplugging the power to the PC and holding the power button in for approx. 30 seconds to clear out any residual power, but it still does what I mention. I have not tried clearing the BIOS as I'm not sure if that is really relevant to what our problem is. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have heard a lot about eMachines having problems with the power supply blowing the motherboard so that seems to be my number one lead in this. However, I'm just trying to throw this out there and see if anyone has experienced the same thing and knows exactly what it is. I've looked on eMachines website for the manual and read through the manual and it mentions nothing about troubleshooting for a rapidly blinking power button and what code that would stand for.

Two observations I can make from this.

In 1. I would say the power button is jammed and making a constant contact as this would cause it to start without being pressed.

In 2. That the old power supply has failed.

You would need to dissasemble the machine to test the power button with a test meter and also use a test meter on the old power supply to confirm it has no output.

Clearing the fault on the power button may get the machine going.

I never thought of that for a possibility. I'll have to take apart the front of the PC and see if I can look at that problem. Thanks for the advice. I'll post results. Thanks again.

Back