Emergency help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBro

OK, it all started when games stopped working on my PC. A dialog box would appear:

"The vtdisp display has stopped working normally. Save your work and reboot the system to full display functionality."

Well, I rebooted, and the same thing happened when I tried to play games again. Someone told me to 'uninstall' the display driver. So I did (it was NVIDIA too). Then I did this safe mode thing, and then I tried to play games. But now, it won't even load to the game screen and instead asks for me to config the game's performance and video settings. When it says to "select a display driver", there is nothing there! I don't know what to do! What driver should I download? Please tell me! Anything!

P.S. The screen is also "wavey" when I scroll down on a page. How do I stop this?

It could be several things, even that your video card might be dying, but do the following:

1. Since you already uninstalled your Nvidia drivers go online in Safe Mode and download and install the free version of Driver Cleaner Pro.

2. Download but DON'T install the latest Nvidia drivers for your video card. I usually save to the desktop for easy access.

3. Let Driver Cleaner Pro search for all remaining Nividia drivers. If it doesn't find anything then that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install Nvidia drivers.

* Let us know if this works.

Please put your System Specs information in your Profile (<-clickable links)

By the way, if your computer is a name brand like Dell; Hp or other, please write that information in your Mobo field of your Profile (Brand and Model number)

Reply once your Profile is updated using the above linked program

I updated my Profile. I don't know all the specs, and since the hardrive was replaced, I don't know what type that is either.

P.S. I tried to post a link to the full system specs, but I don't have enough posts...

2nd P.S. I also noticed that the "vtdisp" is a driver! It's called "vtdisp.ll".

Btw, Route44, I'm trying your idea right now...

WARNING! THE VIDEO CARD IS NOT NVIDIA. IT IS A VIA/S3G Unichrome IGP.

Sorry for telling you the wrong card. :)

Ok

Your letting me know
Your updating the computer's drivers
And now confirming that the Via Video drivers are updated (if that's an addon Video card) If not, just the Computer drivers link will do

I downloaded the video driver from that link and I looked at Driver Detective and it said it was outdated. Can you show me a link to an up-to-date one?

The HP drivers are the most up to date (and tested) drivers for your system
I used Driver Detective type programs years ago, and I have since realized (also years ago) that the best drivers are directly from the manufacture

There are sites that create modified optimized updated drivers for some hardware, but again, the Manufacture drivers are preferred :)

Wait... oh no! Now my PC screen is very bright! O, my eyes! How do I change this back?

P.S. Because I have an old monitor, I can't change the brightness settings. The brightness must've been caused by the installation of the driver.

He has Xp (as per specs)

Some Display brightness settings can be adjusted inside Windows
Just go to Control Panel -> Display ->Settings-> Advanced
Hopefully there is another Advanced button after that. In there you may be able to reduce the brightness.

Otherwise purchase a new Monitor !

He has Xp (as per specs)

Some Display brightness settings can be adjusted inside Windows
Just go to Control Panel -> Display ->Settings-> Advanced
Hopefully there is another Advanced button after that. In there you may be able to reduce the brightness.

Otherwise purchase a new Monitor !

For some reason, when I looked, the specs were NOT there.

Thank you for answering for the poster though Kimsland. I didn't know you knew him so well.

I have never known any member here, either indirectly\directly or otherwise
Sometimes I tend to be quick at answering a post and I wonder if other members think I must know that post or member already, (or anything else, bending or twisting the comment)
But No, and never; not here or anywhere else.

As you said, the System Specs must not have been there at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back