"Enable birectional support" message on network printer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell desktop running Vista connected to a Canon printer via a Linksys wireless router. Initially I had the printer connected via USB to another Dell computer on the network, and everything worked fine. I needed the USB port for another device, so I changed it to wire the printer via ethernet directly from the router, Now the first computer, also connected to the router via ethernet, still works fine. However, the wireless computer has some issues. I get a message that the computer cannot communicate with the printer and to "enable bidirectional support". However, the bidirectional support box is greyed on the printer properties. The strange thing is that the printer still works, even though the computer says it isn't working. So I seem to be communicating just fine from the PC to the router to the printer, but some how the reverse path isn't working right, and I don't know how to get the "bidrectional support" ungreyed. I've tried reinstalling the printer drivers but that doesn't make any difference.

I used to go wireless from the computer to the router, ethernet from the router to another computer and USB from that computer to the printer - everything worked. Now I am going wireless from the computer to the router and ethernet from the router to the printer. Works OK but gives a warning that it isn't working. Anyone know how to fix this?

OK I did that but now the printer doesn't print. It gives message that the printer is offline. When i switch back to the original port I get the same message but the printer does print. In both cases the "enable bidirectional support" is greyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back