Engineers to get Android 3.0 tablets in December

Emil

Staff

Android 3.0, codenamed Gingerbread, will soon be completed and arrive on select tablets this December, according to DigiTimes. These devices will just be early samples only for engineers; the rest of us will have to wait till the public launch in January where HTC, Samsung, and Motorola will be showing off their Gingerbread tablets at CES 2011. Acer, Asustek Computer, and Micro-Star International are also expected to launch their tablet PCs then, but the report didn't specify whether they will have Android 3.0.

With Google set to launch Android 4.0, codenamed Ice Cream, in the second half of 2011, the search giant will likely use version 3.0 to gradually increase its share in the tablet PC market while Ice Cream will be the real push.

The news comes right after details of Android 3.0 started to leak out earlier this week. Gingerbread should focus heavily on an improved user experience, with a more unified UI that includes redesigned icons, notification bar, and built-in apps. Google also reportedly has plans to add support for video chat, Wi-Fi calling, and possibly hardware acceleration.

Permalink to story.

Ahhh, and here I was hoping engineers/developers already had been using these tablets for testing. I guess a Q4 2010 was not possible after all.

It seems like when I want something, I have to wait a long time for it. I'd like to hear news about a phone using Android 3.0 being released in the November / December time frame of this year. That would be in time for me to renew my phones 1 year contract. But then, if Ice Cream Android 4.0 comes out in 2H 2011, that's pretty soon. So should I just wait for that? Dear brain, why do you have to be so indecisive!?

I just wish manufacturers would make it easy to upgrade the OS. Instead they are making it harder, with motorola bricking phones that do not run their approved software.

Sounds good. I think it will be Android 3.0, hope so. Hey Apple ( SJ) ? You cant catch me im the Gingerbread man. I hope that didn't spoil your apples and get you hot, maybe you can cool your self off with Ice Cream 4.0 Put a smile you GUI

Back