Entry-level gaming build

By baN893
Oct 12, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hey guys and gals,

I'm back after a while with a new project. With Black Friday coming up in a little more than a month, I'm looking to help a friend of mine build an entry level gaming desktop.

• He wants a computer to comfortably be able to play games, especially Total War (strategy) games like Napoleon or Rome 2.
    • His budget is around CAD $800
    • Located in Manitoba, Canada with no current build.
    • Mainly looking to buy off of NCIX.com and newegg.ca
    • Also needs periphirals including monitor, speakers, mouse, mouse pad, and keyboard
    • Has not bought any components yet.
    • He already has a copy of Windows 7
    • With our current pick of the CPU we think to opt out of an after market cooler for budget reasons, silence is not really a priority.
    ASRock B75M-DGS LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor ...
    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
    XFX FX-775A-ZNP4 Radeon HD 7750 Core Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
    Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM
    Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
    COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    ASUS VE Series VE208T Black 20" LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor w/Speakers
    Logitech Wireless Combo MK260 920-002950 Black USB RF Wireless Standard Keyboard and Mouse

SUBTOTAL: $704.90
    with taxes and shipping: $862.71

Now let me expand on some of the choices we made, as you might notice, our build is strongly built around the guides found here on techspot.

Motherboard: Seems like a decent choice, I have an ASRock myself so why not.
    CPU: It's the one suggested by techspot. However with some of the package deals found at NCIX.com I'd strongly opt for something like this for $250: NCIX Gaming Bundle Deal Intel Core i5 3450 CPU & MSI Z77A-G43 DDR3 CrossFire Motherboard
    RAM: Just your standard RAM I guess? Does he need 8GB?
    GPU: This is where I feel the largest wiggle room, and I'm hopping that I will be able to snatch a hot deal on Black Friday, like a 7850 or maybe even a 660? Hoping being able to buy everything else at a discount will allow the wiggle room here. Currently we have a 20" screen, but might as well go for a 1080p screen if we are able to snatch a deal.
    Storage: Shooting for $70 and already seen 1.5TB drives on NCIX.com for that price, so it's a place holder really.
    PSU: 520W with the build listed above seems appropriate. With changing CPU and GPU this will obviously adjusted.
    Case: Just want something clean and that gets the job done, no special affiliation.
    Monitor: With a 7750 this monitor seems good to game at 1600x900. Again, the monitor is such a wiggle object where I will need to make decisions once the deals actually roll out.
    Peripherals: Logitech leads the way ^^

So, if you really read through all of this, THANK YOU. I realize this build is really "wiggly", but as that build stands currently, let me know what you think or where you see issues.

Sincerely,

baN
  2. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

The i5 3450 goes for $210 by itself so I'd say that's a great bundle deal for $250, it's only $50 more than the i3 + mobo you picked. RTS games are usually quite heavy on the CPU so a proper quad core would definitely help.

Considering the price of RAM nowadays you should really go for 8GB, it's only $10 more than 4GB. Also a 2x2GB kit would be a pain to upgrade, with 2x4GB you can just pop in another 2x4GB for 16GB of RAM if your friend ever needs it.

If you can get a 7850 or 660 for cheap then those will pretty much play all games at max or high settings, a 7750 is a bit weak.

The HAF cases are great for airflow but a bit loud. You might want to consider a quieter case since the build won't generate that much heat.
  3. baN893

baN893 TechSpot Member Topic Starter Posts: 82   +10

Thank you very much, I will take all of these suggestions into consideration :)
  4. baN893

baN893 TechSpot Member Topic Starter Posts: 82   +10

Bump. Any other input?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.