Error 0xc0000225 on boot

Archean

The issueis described here on HP forums and so far nothing works. I'd highly appreciate if someone have any idea how to fix this issue without having to resort to re-partitioining/reformating/re-installation from scratch.

Here is the brief description:

I am getting the following error when I turn on my notebook or reboot it (and it happens randomly):

\Boot\BCD

0xc0000225
An error occurred while reading boot configuration data.

This started happening since last 3/4 weeks, and only thing which I did during the period in question was to upgrade BIOS to F.1A version from F.13.

Apart from the information in that thread, I've also tried TestDisk and Minitools Partition Wizard, and they both can't see the existing partitions. MPW do see a 'Dynamic Disk' with all the capacity of my HDD. However, windows own Disk Management tool sees all the partitions and it say they are healthy. I have also run the short/long test for HDD provided by HP and it didn't find any issue with the HDD.

Thank you in advance and let me know if any further information is needed.

Hi Archean

I don't really have any good answers but a couple thoughts

1. You might try memtests as well
2. Try a chkdsk /r also. not sure it would help but can't hurt and interesting to see if it reports anything or also has trouble running

It's VERY strange you say TestDisk can't find any partitions but when you start Windows, Disk Management sees all the partitions OK? I'm guessing you ran TestDisk from a bootable CD? Tried several times? Did TestDisk say the drive was unpartitioned?

Okay weirdly Test Disk is now seeing* all the drives. HDD is healthy as I said, HP provides a short test and a much more stressful 'full/long test' in the BIOS to check HDD, as well as RAM.

I haven't checked the RAM** yet, but I don't think it is the suspect, but I will do so asap.

As a side note, I also noticed that HP has introduced a pretty stupid feature, i.e. I can no longer use the Recovery Media provided on the HDD for recovering the system because ...... I have created DVD Recovery Media. So anyone with HP notebooks beware of this development.

* I forgot to mention that I didn't checked back with TestDisk after trying the Recovery Disk procedure.

** I do know how to crash this thing though as the Wireless adapter/USB Broadband Application on this notebook doesn't like Connectify, and usually happily crashes as soon as I start USB broadband connection application. :)

Back