Error code 10 when installing Nikon coolpix L24

Hi, I'm new to this forum and though you guys could help me.

I installed the software for my Nikon camera but when I plug it in via USB it wont recognize it.

I'm using windows XP home 32. I went to Start>control panel>system>hardware>device manager.

Under portable devices it says "MTP device". When I click on that it says...

"This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."

I tried all the trouble shooting, uninstalling/reinstalling and updating drivers and nothing worked.

Anybody have a clue whats wrong? Any help is appreciated!

Mike.

i've seen this problem posted before (and tried looking for solutions in the past) but to no avail. I don't really know what's wrong but i just did another google and found something interesting this time. See if these posts might help

> "MTP Device Cannot Start code 10" error message
> Fix found for iPhone MTP Device Failed

They both suggest running the following from a command prompt (disconnect the cam first). One also suggests first uninstalling the MTP device
Code:
Net localgroup Administrators local service /add

Hope it might help

/* edit */
p.s. i'm also assuming you're also already upgraded to XP SP3

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately it didn't work. after I typed "Net localgroup Administrators local service /add"...into the command prompt, this came up...

"System error 1378 has occured.

The specified account name is already a member of the local group."

No clue what that means...

Rats. That command adds a user group so that error must mean it already exists :(

I think others with this problem ended up getting a card reader and had to transfer pics by moving the SD card. but let us know if you should find other solution

g;luck

Oh. One more thing i had found.

THIS software doesn't fix the MTP problem for Nikon View but looks like its other Nikon software that can at least transfer pics. Note it says
Note that this software cannot run simultaneously with Nikon View, PictureProject, Camera Control Pro or Camera Control Pro 2.

Camera Software.

Can't help with Nikon software, but I have used several 'other' makes of camera makers software, and in my opinion, something like 'Picasa 3', or 'Faststone Image viewer', (both free), are better choices, and both have support for RAW images, around 12 different manufacturer's versions.
If the Nikon software won't see the camera, then just use a card reader.

Back