Error F3-F100-0004

Every time I start up my laptop, I get this window that pops up and it saids

<Error>
An error has occurred.
ERROR : F3-F100-0004
An error has occurred.
Please press [OK] to turn off the computer.

That is all I get every time I turn it on.
It is a Toshiba Windows 7
If you need more information about the laptop just ask
Help please and thank you.

-Shamu

2009 Christmas

I was trying to erase everything on my laptop so that it would be fresh and new like the first time i bought it.

I looked at some places in the laptop but I couldn't find it anywhere, so i started to look up on the internet and searched up ways to do so. I found this website (TechSpot wouldn't let me post the link) and I tested the stuff under the "Issue" section.
My laptop is not the "Toshiba Satellite l300"

Here is the information under "Issue"
"Please help me reset my laptop Toshiba Satellite l300 to factory settings. My OS is windows vista.
Method: Using the Recovery partition

Toshiba laptops from mid 2007 onwards dont have a recovery disc supplied with a purchase of a laptop. Instead, Toshiba has added a hidden partion on the hard drive which contains the same files on a recovery cd / dvd.

To reinstall your laptop to the factory settings / "out of the box" settings, please follow these steps. It worked for me, and should work for you.

ALL DATA WILL BE ERASED ON YOUR HARD DRIVE IF YOU PROCEED. YOU WILL NEED TO ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE THE POWER ADAPTER PLUGGED IN. DO NOT SWITCH OFF OR RESTART YOUR COMPUTER DURING THIS PROCESS.
1) Hold down the power button for 10 (ten) seconds to switch off your machine.

Please note: Holding down the power button on the machine forces it to switch off. Any unsaved data will be lost.
2) Press and hold the 0 (zero) key and at the same time, tap the power button once to switch on your notebook.
3) When the machine Starts beeping; release the 0 key.
4) When prompted by the warning screen; select Yes to continue with the system recovery.
5) Select Recovery of Factory Default Software; click Next.
6) Select Recover to out-of-box state. Click Next again.
7) Click Next to Start recovery.

I hope you find this step by step solution helpful for you. "

I tried it 2 times. The first time i did as it said and it was working for a few minuets, but then it went to an error (I am not sure if it is the same as it is now). The second time instead of selecting "Recovery of Factory Default Software" I checked the one under it which was named something else about erasing all data or something, just like the first time, it was working for a few miuets but then it went to the error as shown in the topic. Me thinking that i would just do what i did earlier and do it again i click ok and turn i back on but this time it just keeps saying error each and every single time i turn it on.

Sadly i do not have a Recovery disk or a Windows 7 disk, but i am asking my family and friends if they have one that i can borrow.

Thanks for answering

-Shamu

As I suspected, you have been trying to restore to factory settings. This does appear to be a common problem with Toshiba Satelites. The link I gave was the best explanation of the problem that I could find and it gave the reason for it happening, the model of the laptop is not relevent. You should always make recovery discs if they are not supplied with the PC, a lesson you will now have learned.

You have two choices, you can either contact Toshiba and see if it is possible to purchase a set of Recovery Disks for you particular laptop. Or, you borrow (as you have already thought of) a Windows 7 OS disc. Keep in mind this disc must be the same version of Windows 7 that is written on your Product Key sticker. This will probably be stuck underneath the laptop. If you try to use a different version your product key will not work.

If you can get the discs from Toshiba this will save you the time and trouble of having to download and install all the drivers that you need for a clean install as they will be included on the discs.

As I suspected, you have been trying to restore to factory settings. This does appear to be a common problem with Toshiba Satelites. The link I gave was the best explanation of the problem that I could find and it gave the reason for it happening, the model of the laptop is not relevent. You should always make recovery discs if they are not supplied with the PC, a lesson you will now have learned.

You have two choices, you can either contact Toshiba and see if it is possible to purchase a set of Recovery Disks for you particular laptop. Or, you borrow (as you have already thought of) a Windows 7 OS disc. Keep in mind this disc must be the same version of Windows 7 that is written on your Product Key sticker. This will probably be stuck underneath the laptop. If you try to use a different version your product key will not work.

If you can get the discs from Toshiba this will save you the time and trouble of having to download and install all the drivers that you need for a clean install as they will be included on the discs.

Alright thank you for helping me Mark. I appreciate it.

Is the HDD Hitachi

I keep reading about defective HDDs made by Hitachi. My HDD is a 5K320-250 HTS543225L9SA00 on a Toshiba L455D-S5976. So if you got F3-F100-0004 error code like I did, the recovery discs won't make a difference if you have a Hitachi HDD. Toshiba knows about the error code and always offers to sell you recovery discs, but it's possible they know they won't help. My warranty expired Dec 2010, the computer started acting up before it was even 6 months old, I thought it was a virus. I kept trying to backup and it wouldn't give me restore points. I read to also to try starting up by holding down the power key and zero key, it did NOT work.

I'm very interested if you resolved that error code with Toshiba recovery discs or did you just get a new HDD.

I am not so sure what my aunt did with it but she tried some stuff but it didnt work so my uncle ordered a new hard drive

The best way to test the old drive, which will confirm if it was faulty, is to run the Hitachi hard drive diagnostics from this link. You need to burn the image onto a CD using image burning software and then (with the CD set to 1st in the boot order) boot the PC with the disc in the drive.

http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

I suspect that the problems were all due to the set up that Toshiba use for the recovery partition, as described in the link I gave earlier, but it would be interesting to learn if the old drive passes the diagnostics test. I suspect you will find there is nothing wrong with the old drive.

I dont get a message asking to continue with recovery, but ive tried everything listed nothing works. cant find my restore discs I made when I bought it right now will try that when I do just will buy a new laptop but it wont be another satellite

Back