Error installing XP in new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Friends,
I am not a tech person but I have been using PC for about 15 years. I have been using a Pentium 4 pc till 2 weeks back. Then I hot mad with AVCHD editing and I updated my PC.
I went for an assembled system (not a branded one). I asked for a configuration for video editing
The configuration is
I7 processor 2.65 GH
Intel mother board + Nvidia graphics (the detailed I can provide if needed)
2 GB DD ram there are 3 slots (the person told me only about 3.5 gb will be used by 32 bit OS. So total memory is 6GB
1 TB hard drive

When I tried installing XP- even during the installation itself the pc freezes - some ntfs.sys error. when I restart the set up continues.
some thing like page file error also comes after some time.
Finally I could install XP.
After that also the system restarts once in a while after a blue screen and it disappears suddenly ( I could not read anything on that). The hard showed few errors when i did disk check from windows.
I took the PC to the vendor. Initially he said there is no problem. Later he said if you remove one 2gb DDR from one of the 3 slots it is fine. he can't explain why? I asked if there are 3 slots and ioneslot is defective the mother borad is not good.
Then he changed the mother board and put a new one.
But the problem persisted. When I contacted he asked me to use genuine windows software saying it is a software problem.
I did that also get a new copy of original XP.
But the problem is still unsolved. Today also while installing theses message appears and system stops. But I could complete installation.
Please help me to solve

I had the very same problem.

Tell me what ram cards you are using (ocz platinum edition maybe?) and also tell me how much power you are giving them in the BIOS.

It could be a power issue or a placement issue. I have 4 slots for RAM in my pc. When i put my ram in the 2 black slots the computer gets blue screens and has to be restarted every now and then. When the RAM is placed in the yellow slots every thing is fine so long as they have enough power.

The black slots could be a slot for older RAM and therefore not compatible. I did nto check this before so im going to check it later but if i were you check to see if there is any difference between the RAM slots.

I wouldn't presume too much, but in all probability it is a RAM problem or possibly even an HDD problem. If you have a second hard disk drive, try installing XP on that and check if any problems occur. If they don't that would mean that your HDD was at fault. However, if they persist, I suggest that you check each stick of your RAM using Memtest86+.

(Just wondering, do you face any problems with 2 sticks of RAM installed? Or only when all 3 are present?)

The RAM card is Patriot PSD36G1333KH (3X2GB KIT)-This is what I an read from the module.
When I tried to install on an ext hard drive Maxtour- Stop error message of
0x0000007B

Another error message I got is IRQL_NOT-LESS_OR_EQUAL STOP 0X000000A

Microsoft suggested a step wise instruction

I am going to remove one RAM and trying to re install

Sounds very much like bad RAM to me. If you get it installed fine on 1 stick then that almost guarantees it is the RAM. The RAM should have a lifetime warranty though, so you can just RMA it and get a new stick(s) for free.

If you want to verify the RAM by itself outside of Windows you can download memtest. I think its www.memtest.org but I'm not positive, may be memtest86. I think both work. You'll want the iso, and then you need to burn that iso to a cd, but not just a file with the .iso extension on the cd, that won't work. You need to burn the iso as an Image, it is a feature in damn near every burning software available now.

I am really getting mad.
I removed one of the three 2 GB rams. Formatted C. The windows installataion was smooth.
I even installed antivirus and few chip set softwares from the installation CD.
Suddenly again BSOD appeared. (May be I have connected a an external HD drive at that time by USB).
I have to boot from the windows CD. Again the same error messages while installation.
What should I do friends?

run memtest like I said, and if you only removed 1 stick you have no idea if you removed a bad one or not. Run memtest on each stick individually, RMA the bad ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back