eSATA HDD takes 5 minutes to appear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

npahlavan

I have a backup HDD that is connected via eSATA. When I turn it on, my PC's HDD light turns on solid. It sits like this for about two minutes. Then the PC's light turns off for about 30 seconds. It then repeats this 2 more times before my backup HDD shows up in My Computer. So it takes about 5 minutes or so from the time I turn on my backup to the time I can access it. About 2 or 3 times the PC will lock up, but then unfreeze during this waiting period. I have noticed some conflict with my wireless connection while all this is going on as well. Sometimes I find that disabling the wireless will speed up the wait time. My computer will not boot up with the backup HDD on, it will freeze at the WinXP loading screen. Works just fine when using the USB connection, just not eSATA. What's going on here? Can this be a power supply issue even though the external has it's own supply?

Disconnect the ESATA. Does it run normally without it?
If so, your eSaTA hardware is bad, and requires some work to figger out.

Disconnect the eSATA from my backup HDD and see if my PC runs normally without it?
If so, yes it runs just fine without it. My problem is getting the backup working with my PC. My backup is an external. I think I may have misunderstood what you meant.

check the Event Viewer for issues
run->eventvwr.msc

The two below are the only errors I get about this issue. I've update both drivers already. I have noticed that once my external HDD shows up in My Computer, I can turn it off and back on again and it will be recognized instantly like it should. Others have stated to set my backup to SATAI instead of SATAII to resolve. I have yet to do it though.

I have whole crap load of this (>100) all at the same exact time:

Source: Disk
Event ID: 51
Type: Warning
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.

And a few of these:

Source: mv61xx
Event ID: 9
The device, \Device\Scsi\mv61xx1, did not respond within the timeout period.

Source: iaStor
Event ID: 9
The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back