eSATA to FireWire (IEEE1394)

nikkhasnsi

Hello

I bought a external HDD that has a eSata output. My PC has USB 2.0 and ieee 1394 inputs. I have currently attached the External HDD to the USB port, but the data transfer is slow.

Will using the ieee 1394 port help with the speed? Is there a eSata to firewire cable or adapter? Can anyone help me find one if it increases the data transfer speed?

Thanks

Firewire will only be marginally better than USB 2.0, even if you could get it to interface with it. We're talking like 35 seconds to transfer a large file instead of 40 seconds.. That kind of difference...

There is no eSATA to Firewire adapter that I'm aware of and that isn't what Firewire was really intended to do. There are eSATA to USB adapters, but that would be pointless since you'd still be limited by the USB bus.

If you're using a desktop, you can possibly add an eSATA PCI/PCIe card (far faster than either Firewire or USB). They are very inexpensive ($10-15).

Firewire will only be marginally better than USB 2.0, even if you could get it to interface with it. We're talking like 35 seconds to transfer a large file instead of 40 seconds.. That kind of difference...

There is no eSATA to Firewire adapter that I'm aware of and that isn't what Firewire was really intended to do. There are eSATA to USB adapters, but that would be pointless since you'd still be limited by the USB bus.

If you're using a desktop, you can possibly add an eSATA PCI/PCIe card (far faster than either Firewire or USB). They are very inexpensive ($10-15).

Thanks, Rick. You confirmed what I was thinking.

Can I replace my firewire card with an eSATA PCI/PCIe card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132014) without hassle? How about power requirements?

Looks like that will work. If you've got the slots you could keep your firewire card, but you might not have any free ones without removing. Power requirements are going to be negligible (a few watts).

Back