ESPN to shutter 3D broadcasting by the end of the year

By Shawn Knight
Jun 12, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Some ideas just seem better on paper than in reality which may be the case for at-home 3D television. It’s still too early to know for sure but when one of the first major networks that signed on to broadcast...

Read more
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,653   +507

No surprise here. All this early 3D business is nothing but a headache, and very literally.

The new glasses-free sets have a better chance, but still, being unnatural to human eyes, it will take a better level of technology to make 3D widely acceptable...

Still, it is nice to see in a cinema, on occasion, but for home use it's a no-no.
  3. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,797   +882

RIP 3DTV.
    VitalyT and mrcavooter like this.
  4. Having seen a 4K TV in a Sony store, I can't wait for these drop in price and become the norm-HD standard. The picture quality is outstanding.

I have a 3DTV, but that's because I couldn't buy the same model without 3D. Think I've used it twice.
  5. ypsylon

ypsylon Newcomer, in training Posts: 44   +6

Good.Who the heck need that anyway? {excluding Hollywood doom merchants of course}
  6. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,536   +92

Yay, death to the gimmicky crap. Roll on 4K.
  7. misor

misor TechSpot Addict Posts: 988   +147

Not surprised here, too.
    I'd rather spend more for something else than buy a 3d tv or watch a 3d film/show again.

(I watched star trek 2: into darkness 3D at an imax theater (part of sm cinema) in southern Philippines.
    I love the superior sound system but not the 3D film and the high price of the movie ticket compared to "normal" films.)
  8. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 212   +26

Hopefully, this is a continuing trend.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.