TechSpot

1. TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN to shutter 3D broadcasting by the end of the year

By Shawn Knight · 7 replies
Jun 12, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Some ideas just seem better on paper than in reality which may be the case for at-home 3D television. It’s still too early to know for sure but when one of the first major networks that signed on to broadcast...

Read more

2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,226   +1,489

No surprise here. All this early 3D business is nothing but a headache, and very literally.

The new glasses-free sets have a better chance, but still, being unnatural to human eyes, it will take a better level of technology to make 3D widely acceptable...

Still, it is nice to see in a cinema, on occasion, but for home use it's a no-no.

3. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar Elite Techno Geek Posts: 6,486   +966

RIP 3DTV.

VitalyT and mrcavooter like this.
  4. Having seen a 4K TV in a Sony store, I can't wait for these drop in price and become the norm-HD standard. The picture quality is outstanding.

I have a 3DTV, but that's because I couldn't buy the same model without 3D. Think I've used it twice.

5. ypsylon

ypsylon TS Enthusiast Posts: 77   +10

Good.Who the heck need that anyway? {excluding Hollywood doom merchants of course}

6. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,638   +323

Yay, death to the gimmicky crap. Roll on 4K.

7. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,188   +209

Not surprised here, too.
    I'd rather spend more for something else than buy a 3d tv or watch a 3d film/show again.

(I watched star trek 2: into darkness 3D at an imax theater (part of sm cinema) in southern Philippines.
    I love the superior sound system but not the 3D film and the high price of the movie ticket compared to "normal" films.)

8. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 1,212   +362

Hopefully, this is a continuing trend.