TechSpot

Ethernet Controller, Sony Vaio VGN-S150P

By giyad
Sep 4, 2008
  1. I formatted my Sony VGN-S150P and installed windows XP SP3. I don't have the recovery discs. What I had to do was download and install all drivers. Everything works fine, except for one thing, the ethernet port. My Wireless works fine, but the ethernet controller driver is no where to be found. Can someone help me out? Right now I have a useless ethernet port...

I talked to Sony tech support and they said the only way I can fix this is to buy the Recovery Discs...

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,449   +324

get a copy of Belarc Advisor and install it;

it will create a detailed profile of the system.

from that HTML report, you will get the detail of the onboard chip
    eg under communications
    TOSHIBA Software Modem
    1394 Net Adapter
    Atheros AR5005GS Wireless Network Adapter
    Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC​

Now the driver for Realtek RTL8139/810x (in my case) can be located :)

3. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

4. giyad

giyad TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 146

Thanks but I'd already installed all the drivers from that sony support site, and the other ones didn't have them :(

Weird but the HTML report says nothing about ethernet... maybe cause the drivers aren't installed ?

5. d00shan

d00shan TS Rookie Posts: 21

Hi!
    I think your laptop has some other model number than VGN-S150P, and to see that you can go on Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools...and open System Information....on the right side you will see System model...if that is true, you should go on this site ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/PUB/OS/XPDOWNGRADE/ and find your model, download the driver...good luck

6. giyad

Hey, thanks but it says that the model is VGN-S150P(UC), and I didn't see any drivers for hat model at the link you gave me :'(

7. d00shan

Try this one here this should be the driver that you're looking for...cheers

8. giyad

YOU! You good you! Will you have my babies?

9. d00shan

glad that works :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.