Ethernet LAN connection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
My housemate and I recently bought two new pcs of the same type, both have VIA Rhine III Fast Ethernet Adapters. When we try to connect both pcs with a cable, the connection appears as not connected ("A network cable is unplugged").
I've tried the same cable with an older PC and my new PC, and it connects okay, also my friends new PC connects okay with the older PC.
I'd be grateful if anyone can offer aby advice on what we may be doing wrong, or how we should go about setting uo our LAN.
Thanks

Thanks for that. We have tried changing the settings and ran the setup wizerd many times but no luck.
I've been searching for the past few days for a solution and the only one I can find is to connect them using a router/hub/switch, so we will try this.
What I can't understand is why it connects okay if we connect the cable to an older PC an either of the new PCs, but if we connect both new PCs, it just says the cable is disconnected. Is there something in the NICs that stops them from recognising if a cable is connected?

Maybe both PCs have the same IP address configured since it would be an autoconfigure address. Try manually setting one the the IP addresses different (only the last octet 255.255.255.xxx). Another thing to consider is that if they are the same computer, could the MAC address on the two NICs be the same? If so, you'd probably have to change it (if that's possible - it might be in the hardware).

That is weird that the two old computers connected fine...were you able to transfer files between the 2? In order to connect 2 computers together you have to have a crossover cable. And if you are going to manually configure the ip addresses 255.255.255.xxx isn't going to do anything for you. Try 192.168.0.1 on one computer and 192.168.0.2 on the other computer. And don't worry about the mac addresses, they won't be the same. The only repeated mac address you will find is from NICs that are really old and the likelyhood of having an old NIC with the same mac address as a new NIC is like 1 in a billion. If your are planning to add more computers later or connect them to the internet through a cable modem or something similar I would definetly get a router. However if you just want the extent of your network to be those 2 computers then using a crossover cable to directly connect the computers would be the way to go.

On your home-network, NEVER change the Subnet Mask: this must always be 255.255.255.0 and nothing else.
Check that all PCs are in the same WORKGROUP.

not sure if this is relevant or true,
but i heard that sharing an internet connection between 2
computers with a crossover cable is "illegal" or not allowed.
Is this true or something? just wondering, thanks ph30nix

Thanks again. We'll try the ip addresses again just to make sure. Also, as we have tried the network setup wizard a few times, could this have messed up any of our settings. Is it possible to get these settings back to a default?
Thanks

internet or LAN problem

I made a format on my PC, put all drivers, it's everything ok, works fine. Then i made Internet connection (i have 2 pc, connected together through splitter). After 15 min of work in internet suddenly this window appears: (first it was 'Send/Don't send window, i clicked to view more information about the problem and it's this) FIRST IMAGE

Then i clicked on To view tech inform. About this error, and appeared this: SECOND IMAGE

And i searched for the files shown on the 2nd window and they are - THIRD IMAGE

And several minutes after my internet connection is blocking, the pc is not working well, and the sound is blocking too.

It's because the old computers probably had the auto-negotiate capabilities. Try a crossover cable. The other thing is to make sure both have fixed IP addresses, as opposed to DHCP (which won't work).

1) Try a Crossover cable, because you're going between 2 similar devices. (Computer to computer, instead of computer to switch or hub.)
2) Because you won't have a DHCP server, you'll have to set your IP addresses manually.
Try these:
Comp1:
IP: 192.168.1.100
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: (Leave blank, cause it shouldn't be needed, if that doesn't work, try putting the other PCs IP in here, sometimes windows likes that, even though that doesn't make that much sense)
DNS server: (Leave blank, cause you shouldn't need it for transfer between 2 PCs over the LAN)

Comp2:
IP: 192.168.1.101
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: (Leave blank, cause it shouldn't be needed, if that doesn't work, try putting the other PCs IP in here, sometimes windows likes that, even though that doesn't make that much sense)
DNS server: (Leave blank, cause you shouldn't need it for transfer between 2 PCs over the LAN)

Pyromaster,
I have crossover cables, PC's are connected trough splitter, i tried your suggestion, but it didn't help, thank you anyway for your help.

cant aquire network address

just put togeather a comp with an asus m2n-mx se plus mobo
working fine and all of a sudden cant get on internet
cant aquire network address
did the internet options set up new connectin also chose lan and checked auto detect
good cables
reset modem router and computer
driver????
cant figure this one out
please help
thanks
ps 4 other computers working fine

I found a solution, if someone have that kind of problem i can help him, it's easy.

But i have another problem now. Because i have 2 computers connected, i mad Share on D: drive on both computers, made a workgroup, i have internet but in my network place there aren't the shared drives, and i can't go from one comp. to another and transfer files.. what would be the problem and how to fix it.
thank you.

then please help while i still have some hair left lol

is there anybody out there?

wird thing is it wont let me renw ip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back