Ethernet network card constantly goes out

I've moved into college and to help get faster and more reliable internet speeds, I'm connecting through Ethernet but I've been having problems so far. Initially, when I plugged in the Ethernet cord, it would not recognize it at all. After a lot of fiddling around with it and resetting my computer, it got it to recognize, but a little bit later, I tried to get on, and it wasn't connected anymore. I checked my Adapter settings, and it didn't list the LAN adapter. It also wasn't in Device Manager.
Now, it's constantly going in and out. If I'm on the Device Manager screen it will constantly refresh, showing and then hiding the Controller.
If I click on properties for it, the general info will show:
"Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer."

And then within a few seconds will change to:
"No drivers installed for this device"

It will occasionally go to "This device is working properly", but that's rare.

And will just constantly go back and forth between them.

I've tried updating the drivers but it says they are up to date.

Info about computer:
My LAN controller is "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller"
My computer is a HP Pavilion dv7-4285dx running Windows 7.
The computer has Wimax installed and it seems to think my Wimax controller is an Ethernet controller, not sure if this is part of the problem.

get your install CD and run sfc /scannow to verify system contents.

yea, that's the show-stopper for off the shelf systems. Your 'recovery cd' will not work either.

Make sure you have the system and version (right click My Computer->Properties)
and find a friend with an install cd that matches your system. You should not perform installs from it, but it does just find for the SFC operation.

Insert the DVD used installing your Operating System (Win 7) when System File Checker prompts you.

Back