Ethernet option disappeared

WritingTheDream

Recently I've been unable to use anything other than Wifi when connecting to the Internet. In my Network and Internet settings the Ethernet option is simply gone. I recently started using a VPN and I believe installing the software for that may have corrupted something. However, I've unistalled that software, did a network reset, uninstalled and reinstalled my drivers, etc. basically I'm saying I've tried the basics and haven't had any luck. I can give more details obviously, just wanted to lay out the gist.

If you click start and type device manager. Look under network adapters and see if it is listed. It may have something wrong with a driver. This will be indicated by a yellow triangle by the device listing.

If you click start and type device manager. Look under network adapters and see if it is listed. It may have something wrong with a driver. This will be indicated by a yellow triangle by the device listing.

Actually I didn't mention in the original post that I've done that and tried to uninstall/reinstall the driver. I may have read bad or advice or screwed that part up because I don't now how to get it installed again.

Btw, thanks for you quick replies, this issue has been driving me nuts for literally days.

Did you delete the old one from device manager? If so and it did not show back up after a reboot you may need to go to the manufacturer for the driver package.

Actually, when I tried to install what I think I'm supposed to install this is what I get -

Attachments

• notfound.PNG
    notfound.PNG
    87.7 KB · Views: 1
You might be having a hardware issue. I would try a live boot linux cd/usb and if it does not show up then there is something probably wrong with hardware. If it does show up then something is borked in windows.

So I did a system restore and now I have this back in my device manager. It does say it is not connected. Suggestions?

Attachments

• ethernetcontroller.PNG
    ethernetcontroller.PNG
    52.4 KB · Views: 5
I would try a live boot option. It looks like your issue could be hardware. If the adapter does not show up and work in a linux live boot environment then it is probably hardware.

I'm having trouble getting a live boot environment set up. Any resources you could point me towards that might help me?

In the meantime, assuming it's a hardware issue what would suggest as my next step?

Here is a guide to making a USB bootable for Hirens. I use hirens all the time to troubleshoot issues with hardware.

If this is a laptop then it will be difficult to get fixed. If it is a desktop your easy fix is to install another adapter. Another option is to use a USB to ethernet adapter.

Back