Ethernet over mains problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

5aq1b

I have had eConnect Homeplugs 85mbps for about a year now and have had no problems at all. I use them for my PC.

Recently bought 4 (2 pairs) of Advent 85mbps plugs as I was wanting to connect my newly built Media server and Xbox 360 via these plugs.

What should my setup be? Does each plug require a pair ie. one plug each going into the xbox 360 and the media server, and their pairs going into the router?

All in all, i would have 3 plugs in my router (including my old plug) and also 3 plugs into each device (PC, Xbox and Media Server), is this right?

I have tried everything and am having problems with the new advent ones. Tried connecting them straight to the wall, and using a non-surge protected 4-way lead. No Luck. Took my old plugs out of my PC and used the new advent ones, again...NO LUCK!. I retrieve an IP addres but no net connection. Ping -t to my router shows a few successful replies at 3/4ms, a few at 10-15, and ALOT of unsuccessful pings.

I really do not know what the problem is. I'm thinking of returning them and sticking with the econnect brand

the general idea is
Code:
modem---router ---advent(master)--A/C wall outlet
...       |
          +----- wired or wireless computer devices (3x)

...              A/C outlet--- advent(slave) --- some computer device

Homeplug technology is similar to wireless. Each brand will have a network name (ssid). Most times they accept 'any' network name. For what you are describing, you should use the advance configuration programs to select specific networks.

"Advent" among media server and clients to the server (mbox, etc.)

"Econnect" among the media server and home computers and the router to the internet.

I find it difficult to understand why the media server would be remote from the router. Electrical interference or poor signal may explain this choice.

The router only uses one homeplug. Each client accessing "econnect" has a homeplug adapter configured to this network.

The media server connects to two homeplug adapters: Internet-side uses 'econnect"; clients (port-side) uses "advent".

Each homeplug has a MAC. You will need this for the configuration of each adapter.

Any homeplug adapter can be re-programmed to another network name (you can achieve the 3-3 split you cite).

[edit]
If the network is simply connecting each client to the Internet, 4 Advent adapters will do it. As shown it the diagram: Advent(master) for the router; adpters(slave) for : Media Server, Mbox#1, PC#1.
I have no clue how to use a media server. I guessed that it was used to integrate Mboxes, DVDs, home theaters, PCs, and anything craving bandwidth.
[/edit]
[edit] And yes, you can divide your network into subnets. Conceivably three pairs. Any one homeplug network divides the bandwidth among all (active) users. Three connections to the router for the 3 subnets will help if bandwidth is needed. HOWEVER, electrical interference among the networks could work against the "theoretical" model.
[/edit]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back