TechSpot

EU Parliament member quits ACTA, calling it a masquerade

By Leeky
Jan 27, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. In an unprecedented move, the French MEP Kader Arif has quit his position of scrutinizing the upcoming Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) for the European Parliament, calling the passage through theā€¦

Read the whole story

2. holy sh-it this is serious....can you see the domination of this planet?

3. bielius

bielius TS Booster Posts: 228   +14

wait, is norway affected by ACTA? Since Norway is not in the EU, it should not be...?

4. yRaz

yRaz TS Addict Posts: 982   +123

Why isn't Techspot covering ACTA more?

5. Zoner1501

Zoner1501 TS Rookie Posts: 32

No kidding, this is worst then SOPA/PIPA

6. No more generic Cetirizine that helps me through the day. Also no more Twisternederland Fail Compilations, no more Arnold Schwarzenegger's 160 Best Quotes, no more review of Warner's movie or EA's game other than overwhelmingly positive, cause any other obviously violates company's good name. And, no! Big companies won't impose it on you over night. It will be your ISP forcing You to cut it out in fear of liability from MAFIAA's lawyers. And the new breed of lawyers: coming after settlement from little ones, before sueing you in the name of corporations.

7. MrTomTom

MrTomTom TS Rookie Posts: 22

Wouldn't it be more productive to vote NO against this outrageous ACTA instead of "rage-quitting" ?
    I'm just wondering.

8. @ MrTomTom that's the thing. Passing ACTA is not a democratic process. That's all the row inEurope about it right now. Big companies passed it behind voters back. And U.S. administration seems to push it through with blackmail on EU politicians on a base that if you're not with u.s., you're against u.s. And what country would like to be not the partner of big US?

9. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

Who needs freedom when you can force people to make you an extra million in revenue?

Sadly, this is the human race we're talking about and there are actually people who think this is good and the number of people who oppose this will eventually buckle under the social pressure and start buying crap again.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

10. @ramonsterns: I very much approve of your comment. Help me build my spaceship ?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.