Euclideon claims to revolutionize gaming graphics tech

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Update: Markus "Notch" Persson, the creator of Minecraft, has posted a statement on his blog disproving Euclideon's "unlimited detail" technology of nothing more than a scam. Furthermore, id Software founder John Carmack posted a tweet saying that the there is no chance the technology would result in a game on current generation systems and that production issues would be challenging. Thanks to our readers for bringing this to our attention.

Original: Small Australian developer Euclideon has released a video on YouTube that claims their new graphics processing technology will revolutionize how games are made forever.

This isn’t the first we have heard of this technology or this company. In early 2010, Unlimited Detail’s CEO Bruce Dell released a video demonstrating their current progress with this new approach to computer graphics. After the video went viral, the company disappeared which led many to conclude that the video was either fake or the company dissolved.

The team reemerged this week with a new video under a new company name. Unlimited Detail is now known as Euclideon and this video installment looks even more promising than the last, at least on the surface.

Without delving into too much technical detail, the Unlimited Detail method works by eliminating traditional polygon limits and instead uses “unlimited detail point cloud data”. Point cloud data is comprised of tiny atoms, the same technology that is used in medicine and science. This method allows for much higher detail but uses a lot of processing power and as such, a full game level couldn’t be created using this method, until now.

Euclideon claims their technology will render polygons useless by instead using these tiny atoms to create objects and worlds, just like how things are created in the real world. The theory and video are certainly impressive, but many still have their doubts about how it would actually work in a real game.

The video demo is just that, a rendered video. There are no animations being shown and things like collision detection could be a challenge. Others with knowledge of the subject suggest this is just a rehash of voxel technology which is very memory-intensive.

To their credit, Euclideon makes it clear that they are not graphic artists or game developers. Once their SDK is finished “in several months”, they hope to pass it along to true game developers.

Permalink to story.

No.
This is a voxel engine and nothing more.
It has no animation capabilities and is very limited.

Guest said:
No.
This is a voxel engine and nothing more.
It has no animation capabilities and is very limited.

Agreed. I'm reading about this everywhere now. It's a massive gimmick to get publicity.

Looks like it has amazing potential to me so rather than talk out of my neck, I'll just wait and see where this goes.

pcnthuziast said:
Looks like it has amazing potential to me so rather than talk out of my neck, I'll jst wait and see where this goes.

I don't think it is going to go as far as some may hope.

Link

Agreed with Guest and Nima304. These are just pretty, static pans of vegetation - no collision detection, no explosions, facial/body animation, destructive environments, etc. Big deal...

And even with this demo, it doesn't even come close to what the new Unreal engine can do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGf0oGGGQqQ

Woohoo! VOXELS, baby! We're gonna party like it's Novalogic all over again!

TomSEA said:
Agreed with Guest and Nima304. These are just pretty, static pans of vegetation - no collision detection, no explosions, facial/body animation, destructive environments, etc. Big deal...

And even with this demo, it doesn't even come close to what the new Unreal engine can do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGf0oGGGQqQ
That was amazing, wonder how I managed to miss that preview.

I can't really understand you people being so negative about something new (yes I know those are voxels, but still noone has ever taken it so far) if you just hasn't been so lazy you would check on voxels (on wikipedia f.e.) and learn that voxels have been used for various applications all the time such as terrain modelling in crysis, knowing that tell me one more time voxels are useless.

And I rofled so hard as I had to read that Voxel engines are "very limited" and has no animation capabilities... of course they are, what have you expected? Looking at DirectX 7 today you would also say it's very limited comparing it to DirectX 11, but look how many years it took for a company like microsoft to get there where we are now. (same for hardware development)
Another one: "no explosions, (...) destructive environments" are you actually thinking about what you are writing before posting it? The whole world in this demo they showed consists of particles aren't those perfect preconditions?

I couldn't find much on animatons with voxel engines just this minute but I have already found some frameworks that uses animated Voxels (in form of clouds or wow what a surprise explosions) for CGI purposes in real-time!
And please even if... don't say you can't do something, thruth is you aren't able to do something (by now in best case) thats a huge difference.

@TomSEA
comparing it to the "don't even close to" Unreal Engine 3... I don't really see your point
as they claim they aren't best artists and only want to show the structural capabilities of their engine you try to compare it to the show-off clip of one of the top shelf game developers. Don't even to start talking about which effort you have to accept to produce such a silly animation...

I don't want to claim that this particular engine is the one and only future of gaming (as the company states itself) as I assume that "unlimited detail" will go bust sooner or later but Voxels... yes, I really think they are.

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." ~Elbert Hubbard

This is not a gaming/animation company. Don't expect them to make an animation. For all we know this technology is still at infancy, it doesn't know how to move yet. They are probably pitching this for investors and not for us.

one not so good known company, they app can work with BILIONS points of point cloud in real time http://www.alicelabs.com/ and their app is primary used for "laser" scan they convert images with help of Photogrametry to point cloud........

After seeing the video and doing some research the company itself could be a potential scam, but honestly in that aspect we would have nothing to worry about because their is no reason for us to invest into it. In any case I will break this down into positives and negatives for the graphics itself within the time they mentioned it would be ready to be used by animators.

A. Positives
1. The graphics look stunning
2. The idea to how the graphics can be improved is a real and potential idea
3. Ran at 20 FPS
a. no collision detection
b. no executed animated actions
B. Negatives
1. Currently their are no technological systems within a household that could function this
a. would potentially require a hard drive that has a functional memory in tetrabites
b. FPS would be at 1 or non-existent with collision detection and animation
2. No gaming graphics artist would know how to use these to their appropriate potential
3. Rate at which graphics can be applied
a. would require longer deadlines
b. would require more money
4. Uploading and Downloading
a. would require a day or more to download with current rates
b. would require 20 to 30 times the rate to stay within hours
5. Online multiplayer would take years to become stable

So in conclusion we just do not have the technology to make full use of it as of yet within homes. Their are in fact engines that can make this almost functional, but unfortunately are military/government grade technology. It will take a little over a decade before we see this type of graphic in use if game graphic designers can make partial usage of it over that period of time.

Im a programmer in the 3D CAD Industry, and We have been using Point Clouds for some time now to render scenes of areas that have been scanned by a 3D laser scanner, The potential of these clouds is HUGE... It really does deliver detail to an impressive degree, But as of now the hardware isnt quite up to speed, But it wont be long.

I, For one, Am definitely looking forward to this, We have been pushing development in this area, So far we are working with only single colour clouds as thats all we need, but there is no reason why every single datapoint couldnt have its own colour (Memory permitting).

Thanks for the link to Alicelabs Guest, Ill have a look at that and see how it intergrates with our own system :)

Thas was me with the link, just contact them, they were on trip over USA at academic ground with a standing ovation on presentations, i was at their office in december for visit, their working on the 2.0 version that will push a lot pressure on the traditional Laser scanner builder...... they showed me a scene with over 350Mil points on 4Gb machine with 2 cores it was a VERY fast. they tested id on 2 Bil scene with setup of like this, so real world applications are already there.
P.S. if something new come and is more than 3 times as you expect then you cennot believe that is possible not even 100.000 times the speed gain. all is about the algoritmus for sorting of points that you use !!!!!

Every new idea follows these steps
It’s completely stupid
It’s possible but it’s very difficult to implement
I always said that was a fantastic idea :)

So wait - an industry heavily invested in polygons (Notch aside) says anything else won't work? And we're listening to them? Sad really that people are so quick to dismiss something they don't understand. I don't know if this tech will work out or not - but all these people so IMMEDIATELY calling BS makes me wonder if they are more interested in protecting their status quo and innovation. OH WAIT they are in the gaming industry so I guess they've proven that in spades. That said, not sure what made Notch go ballistic over this - he only got where he is because people saw what he was doing and SUPPORTED it. Some people would call someone who had taken millions of dollars for a game that IS STILL NOT FINISHED a "snake-oil salesman" as well.

One issue. No more hardware upgrades. The big players will go broke over night. Remind you of somthing? Oil vs all these great future tech? too much money oil, and too much money in new inovative hardware.

you people are ridiculous. what has technology taught us? .(well not you obviously).. technology has no boundaries with the right person at the helm. all it takes is the proper software/ hardware combo. look how far games progress on the same system, ps2 for example. the quality grew exponentially from the launch titles to current. all because a devooper/programmer found a way to utilize the product. remember 8 bit graphics, cutting edge, nothing better could be done.
it sounds more like you are upset that someone smarter than you beat you to an amazing breakthrough. if it doesnt work, well..they tried and left groundwork for the next person to build upon. if it does, then the gaming industry may take the most amazing leap we have seen in 20 years. suck it up and realize research is research and its all for the greater good/

so, someone "disproved" this technology? just as simple as the company "proved" it. lol. wow people are simple. who cares what some ******* who wishes he had thought of something first thinks? give me numbers and proof... oh wait.. euclideon has not released this information for this very reason.

So. . . .. Did you hear?
Eucliedon (unlimited detail) Geoverse?
I am glad all of you were wrong in your comment, but not because one likes to prove someone else wrong. . . but because this new technology is finally coming into fruition by an individual that is similar to you or me.

Back