"Event Log Explorer" tool helps manage/analyze/report on your Windows Event Logs

Status
Not open for further replies.

LookinAround

[center]Event Log Explorer
A tool to help Manage, Analyze and Report Windows Event Logs
For Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 operating systems[/center]

This is a simple, "starter" guide to help use this tool. (Note this tool will only work on Windows NT/2000/XP/2003. It will not work with Windows Vista.) Download and run Event Log Explorer.

One time initialization
  • Click Tree->Show Tree
  • Click File->New Workspace
  • Click File->Save Workspace As (and save your workspace file anywhere you choose)
Example: To Filter / View / Export Recent Error and Warning Log Events
  • Open an Event Log
    >> (e.g Typically, you only need look at the System Log (for System event records) and the Application Log (for Application related events)
  • Filter the events you want to see (for this example we filter to only see Non-Information events that occured in the last 7 days)
    >> Click View->Filter.
    >> Uncheck Information. Towards the bottom of the filter window, look for “Display event for the last” enter 7 days. Click OK
  • Click File->Export Log to save a copy of the events for later viewing or sending to others
    >> Check: Text file, All events, Event Description
    >> Uncheck Export Event Data
    >> Check Close dialog when done
  • Click Export and save as a txt file on your Desktop
Help Troubleshooting an Event
  • Double click an event to see the "Event Description" (which provides more detail about the event)
  • Click Event ID Database button for an web page about the event to get general explanation/additional information about the Event
  • Look for and click hyperlinks in the Event ID web page for user comments on the event
You may note that some additional automated help is available via subscription service. I've never tried using the subscription service myself. I think what's available for free from the tool plus a little manual internet surfing will likely get all the same information.

I use the subscription to EventID.net. It has been greatly helpful. I don't have this analyser but am a big believer in using the Event Viewer. I'll add a description I have written up which will help in determining the Events: This may be useful in addition to the Event Analyzer.

One thing I have not been able to do is keep the filters set with the software in the OS.

Find the Error(s)in the Event Viewer that correspond to the crash/freeze/error message/blue screen, etc.:

Description of the Event Viewer:
Unfortunately, many Windows XP users aren't aware of the Event Viewer, what it is, where it is, how it can help with a problem:
The Event Viewer has logs for everything that happens on the computer. There are three sets of logs: System, Applications and Security. By opening the first two to display the Events, you can look for Errors that correspond to the time of the problem- in your case, the crash.

There are three types of Events in the System and Apps logs:
1. Information (white circle w/blue i): this is just basic documentation of the normal working of the System or Apps.
2. Warnings (yellow triangle w/black exclamation mark) noting some problem at that moment. Warnings usually resolve on their own. If they do not, they become>>>
3. Errors (red circle w/white X- they document something that didn't work or isn't happening as it should. Each Errors has three parts: an ID#, a Source and a Description. By doing a right click> Properties, the Error will open to a screen that can be copied. These three parts taken together can usually lead to cause and resolution.

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
1. Click to open the log>
2. Look for the Error>
3 .Right click on the Error> Properties>
4. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow
5. Paste here (Ctrl V)

You can ignore the Categories 1 and 2. If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed. You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
Vista path can be followed here: (Copy button is on lower left)
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Monitoring-Event-Logs-Windows-Vista.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back