TechSpot

Everspin first to ship ST-MRAM, claims 500x faster than SSDs

By Rick
Nov 13, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Arizona-based Everspin Technologies announced yesterday (pdf) that it has become the world's first MRAM supplier, shipping its own ST-MRAM (Spin-Torque Magnetoresistive Random Access Memory) chips to select customers. The non-volatile storage medium is said to be 500 times faster than current...

Read more
  2. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Booster Posts: 354   +38

I'll gladly take a 50W SSD if it has data rates of 3Gb/s. We already have 1.5Kw PSUs so I don't see the problem.
  3. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,159   +174

The Vertex 4 is not bandwidth limited (in sequential read/write) by the SSD tech. It is bandwidth limited by SATA 3 so while the IOPS is perhaps a valid comparison, peak bandwidth is not. Same for this new tech. To me this just emphasises the fact that serial bus interface standards are snooze-slow while the storage tech is ramping up at incredible rates.

Also Revodrive 3 X2's read speed is 1500MB/s and 1200+MB/s write for around 50-75% more than a Vertex 4 per GB. Bit better bang for buck... for the moment!
    TJGeezer and fimbles like this.
  4. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,791   +541

It's all just marketing nonsense. We will know the truth after a few more manufacturers surface up.

"500 times faster" doesn't go along well with just "up to 3.2GB/s", which is just 6 times faster than today's regular SSD-s, while PCI ones go even beyond that. I didn't think IOPS alone would translate into that much performance difference.

That's pessimistic. I would give it 3 years at most, if it is here to stay at all.
    TJGeezer likes this.
  5. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 412   +42

Sounds like a no go. But I agree that the SATA interface is horribly lacking in every way. Change to optical and give us 1tbps throughput
    TJGeezer likes this.
  6. It's only as fast as the slowest componet in the chain.
  7. Nowadays, we often see SSD being used as a cache to improve HDD.. Maybe with this, we can use ST-MRAM to cache our SSD :D
    KbloodyK likes this.
  8. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TS Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

Maybe we'll see these things used in the next supercomputer, sucking up several cities' worth of power to offer faster answers to bigger theoretical questions. Gonna stop before I say the "S" word.
  9. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,159   +174

Yeah that was the hope for Thunderbolt! Early days I guess!
  10. KbloodyK

KbloodyK TS Member Posts: 24

Once this is improved upon, st mram is going to be the new thing!
    can't wait until this takes over and normal SSD drop in price!
  11. >Once this is improved upon, st mram is going to be the new thing!
    >can't wait until this takes over and normal SSD drop in price!

Or just another completely different new technology will come along and overtake both of these.

Anyway, EverSpin is such a cool name...That should totally be a new name for department of public relations
    captainawesome likes this.

12. These chips use the DDR3 interface, it's 3.2 GB/s or 25.6 Gb/s. That's not for the device but for the MRAM stick, a single channel, that could be where your system memory is now. SSDs may have up to 600 MB/s transfer speed on SATA 3. Using 4 ram channels would give up to 96 GB/s available bandwidth to PC3-24000 DDR3 devices. But putting 4 sticks of MRAM into a DDR3 system would get you non-volatile memory at 12.8 GB/s with a 256 MB capacity today vs 600 MB/s per SATA channel. Even with 10 SATA channels that's only half the speed of the MRAM at 4 channels in current computers.
  13. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 412   +42

Guys I think we just got schooled :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.