Every evening I shut off the computer and next morning it is already turned on

gulabg

It is very confusing. Is there a possibility that some program automatically turns on the computer?
May be Norton security or Adobe or Microsoft windows or office etc. turns the computer on but
does not shut it off after the updates have been incorporated. Is there a way that I may remove
the feature that does it without asking me?

Best regards,
Gulab Gidwani

None of those programs would have the ability to turn the PC on. Either something is set in the BIOS or Wake-on-LAN is turning it on. Do you know what time it comes back on? Are you sure it powers down completely and isn't just sleeping or hibernating?

Dear JMMD,

Many thanks for the response.
The computer turns back on at approximately 500 pm every evening. I generally shut the
computer down at 430pm everyday.
After your suggestion, I went into BIIOS and into the power section, but did not find any instruction
that would turn the computer on at any particular time or ever.
The operating system is Windows XP with service release 2.
Any help will be highly appreciated. The computer is tower emachines T3990.

Best regards,
Gulab Gidwani

XP has an SP3 that was released nearly two years agao, and is the only version of XP still being supported.

If you are still on SP2 you are increasingly likely to get conflicting software, software that assumes you must be on SP3 and hence does not work properly. You are vulnerable to many malware exploits which have been developed over the last several years and are usually defended against by SP3 patches still being released monthly.

There is really no excuse for staying on SP2 - sorry.

Hi, Is it possible that when you think you are turning the pc off, it's actually gone into hibernate mode, then comes back on after 30m or 1hour etc? The settings would be in Control panel, Hardware, Power plans/settings, (or similar).

The TCP adapter has a Wake On Lan setting; make sure that is OFF :)

Back