Everytime my wireless home phone rings I get disconnected from my wireless network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem with my home wireless network. My network operatates at 2.4 GHz and so does my home wireless phone. Everytime my phone rings I get disconnected from my wireless network. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

Welcome to Tech Spot :)

Do you have 802 B or 802 G wireless?

When I was in Best Buy, one of the sale people mentioned how 2.4 GHZ phone interferes with 802 B Wireless networks (uses same frequencies).

He mentioned that 802 G wireless network were not affected with the phones.

I bought the Linksys Wireless - G Broadband Router from Best Buy. Do you know if there is any of changing a setting on the router to stop this problem?

Yes you should be able to change the channel it communicates on. You will have to play with the setting until you find it, as I"m not exactly sure where it is, but there is somewhere to set a channel to use.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

I have a similar problem here at home and changing the channel hasn't helped me :( 802.11b runs at 2.4 GHz and 802.11g at 5.4 GHz. Unfortunately there are cordless phones that also operate at each of those frequencies (actually a small range over it) which means you CAN have the problem if you have the right combination of equipment. Theoretically you should be able to switch channels on one/both of your devices to get around this. I've given up trying myself.

The cheapest solution is to buy some Cat-5e cables. Apart from the added security, you will also have greatly improved speed on your network.
Or install Cat-6 if you plan on Gigabit/1000-Tbase.
It may not always be practical and/or easy, but once done you are set for life.

realblackstuff said:
The cheapest solution is to buy some Cat-5e cables. Apart from the added security, you will also have greatly improved speed on your network.
Or install Cat-6 if you plan on Gigabit/1000-Tbase.
It may not always be practical and/or easy, but once done you are set for life.

Actually, the *CHEAPEST* solution would be to replace your 2.4GHz cordless phone with a 900MHZ cordless phone as these cost next to nothing in the closeout bin of your local electronics store. :stickout:

You can put adsl filter to your wireless phone so that the voice signal will filtered and your data signal will not be interfred with the voice signal, that is common when using and extension line especially wireless telephone.

add adsl filter

Try adding adsl data and voice filter, connect it to your wireless phone, if you have two line extn. add every extn with adsl filter,

there should be an easy to use, and easy to find channel selector on the phone. try changing that. if not, get a new phone, or a new router. if you get a new phone, id get one the 5.9ghz (or 5.6, or w.e it is)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back