EVGA Nvidia 7800GS - DVI to HDMI sound

By Tedster
Dec 2, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I have an old computer which I am converting into a media system. It has a EVGA NVIDIA 7800GS card (AGP) which I am connecting a DVI to HDMI cable. Will this support sound through the DVI to HDMI cable or am I stuck with computer speaker sound from the computer audio port?
  2. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

no, the sound will not be carried through the DVI connection. if you were using a direct HDMI output on the card it would work (if the sound had audio processing) but only the video will be carried (i.e. DVI does not support sound)
  3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Topic Starter Posts: 10,074   +13

thanks - that's what I was afraid of, but I can live with that. The media computer will be in my bedroom and the computer speakers are close to the bed, so I should be ok. It's a fairly decent computer speaker setup with a sub-woofer. I would have preferred the sound to go to my plasma TV, but oh well... it beats buying a new graphics card for an old system. Not worth it. I have a newer computer with a HDMI card in another bedroom which I stream netflix to.
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,419   +281

I have that same card :) You can still send the sound to the TV though, just run a line from the sound card to the TV with appropriate ends for each.
  5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Topic Starter Posts: 10,074   +13

Unfortunately, the computer is quite far from the TV. I am already running a 12 ft dvi to hdmi cable and I really don't want to run another sound cable. I would have to split the audio also between computer speakers and the tv if I did. Since I move a lot due to my job, perhaps the next move I will locate the TV closer to the computer.

I've been surfing the net and have found there are some cases were audio is transmitted over a DVI to HDMI conversion. (but not a straight DVI to DVI). This will be an interesting case.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.