eVGA's GeForce4 MX 440 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokem

eVGA's e-GeForce4 MX 440 review @ Tech Report

Used the search feature and I can't find anyone posting this so here it is. This is also one of the prizes of the forum's contest.

eVGA's e-GeForce4 MX 440 graphics card
by Geoff "Dissonance" Gasior - 12:00 am, March 25, 2002

http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2002q1/evga-gf4mx/index.x?pg=1

NVIDIA IS PLAYING THE NAME GAME with its latest line of graphics products. While the "4" in "GeForce4 MX" suggests something a generation beyond, or a step up from the GeForce3 line, the GeForce4 MX shares more with the GeForce2 than with anything in the GeForce3 or GeForce4 Titanium stables.

The GeForce4 MX is a new spin on old technology, but that doesn't necessarily mean that there's no place for it. Think about it: when was the last time you played a game that actually used pixel shaders, or other advanced DirectX 8 features? Heck, Counter-Strike remains one of the most popular games around, and its engine is older than the GeForce2.

Not to spoil the fun, but I never expected the GF4MX to perform in such a manner :(

Audio and Video > Any positive experiences with GeForce4 MX-440
http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=423&highlight=pixel+shaders
www.maximumpc.com March/02
The GeForce4 MX does not include programmable pixel shaders.
"Because it lacks the gamer-centric programmable shaders of the GeF4 & GeF3, nVidia will likely pitch the MX to office workers & occassional gamers."

Don't L:rolleyes: :rolleyes:K a gift horse in the mouth! ;) Understand this is a budget card, but it has 3 times the fps of a GeF2 MX!

review madness

The 440MX GPU has been copping a bit of flak from some reviewers.I came across this Penstarsys which to me explained this GPU a bit better.

For a plethora of reviews on this GPU from different manufacturers visit 8Dimensional

I have bought the Leadtek A170 DDR T to replace my fried GF2MX. Only thing is I'm still waiting for my comp to come back from the comp shop after this . Worst thing is I've had the A170 sitting on my comp desk the last week and a half just teasing me.:p
Can't wait to get it in my comp when it's fixed.

Geforce4 MX 440 Users

I'm sure some people have aquired this card and I was curious about your thoughts on the NV17 GPU.
Are you pleased with the performance?(compared to what you upgraded from)
How much of a bearing do you think your CPU has on overall performance( considering your CPU has to make up the workload for the missing InfiniteFX engine)
If you have DVD do you think the quality/CPU usage is better compared to your old vid card. (regardless of s/ware player used)
Do the visuals (non AA & AA) look and perform better.
Have you tried any DX 8.x gaming and are you satisfied compared to your old vid card.

Hopefully I will be able to answer these questions myself soon (I miss my comp) but was curious as to other peoples thoughts on this after they upgraded. I don't expect to run Aquanox @100 fps @ 12x10 as this is a "budget" card, but after seeing many (put down) reviews on the web I think it comes down to us "budget "users, and the ability of NV to supply a better "budget" GPU.

Re: Geforce4 MX 440 Users

Originally posted by DogStar
I'm sure some people have aquired this card

No, but I was hoping to win one!
Otherwise, if I was in the market for a Geforce & couldn't afford the GeF4, I'd probably look for a GeF3Ti @ a reduced price.

As far as your needs, & your other post concerning NvDvD
Nvidia's new NVDVD (multimedia software)
http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=890
the MX440 should do just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back