TechSpot

GeForce 4 vs. ATI 8500 and everything in between

By SuperCheetah
Apr 4, 2002
  1. Here is a big review comparing all the GeForce 4 series cards and the ATI 8500 and 7500 series cards.

Seems the GeForce series outperforms the ATI's in about all the benchmarks.

2. svtcobra

svtcobra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 761

So why would I have to be "open-minded" to ATI's cards?

3. SuperCheetah

SuperCheetah TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 709

I agree that the newest Nvidia offering is whipping up on ATI's best offering in the benchmarks. But benchmarks are only good to show to your friends. If your a hardcore gamer then I say go for the GeForce cards, but for a great all around product then the ATI 8500 is the way to go, IMO of course.

I personally am not all about benchmarks and two more frames per second, so I look for the better quality product and I believe that is the ATI card.

Svtcobra and I seem to clash on this arguement, but you could make a solid arguement for both cases I suppose. I respect your decision cobra, I just want you to see my argument as well...

4. SleeperDC

SleeperDC TS Rookie Posts: 184

Re: Re: GeForce 4 vs. ATI 8500 and everything in between

LOL, i am close minded to Nvidia's card.

i feel they always like speed over quality.
    while i like quality over speed.

3dfx is the best!!

5. SleeperDC

SleeperDC TS Rookie Posts: 184

yea, that's what i am trying to say

6. svtcobra

svtcobra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 761

I see it..

I think you may misunderstand me a bit..I prefer Nvidia over Ati..Thats really it. I have some bad experiences with Ati, I think their product is hampered by poor driver support and I think there marketing is a little bit to sexist for a computer product.

I guess, they have always been associated with "value" as well. Im not one to buy something cause its cheap. If Im getting a good deal on something thats one thing, if I buy something that is always cheap, I usually regret it.

7. SuperCheetah

SuperCheetah TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 709

I understand where you're coming from in a way svtcobra. I personally don't have anything against the two companies, but if I did have a bad experience with one of them it would probably turn me off from their product also. Thankfully I haven't yet had this problem.

I wouldn't really say the ATI is cheap. Sure it costs less than the Nvidia card, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the quality is not as good. I personally can't realistically afford a GeForce 4 now, so the ATI 8500 is the best alternative for me right now.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.