TechSpot

GeForce 4 vs. ATI 8500 and everything in between

By SuperCheetah
Apr 4, 2002
  1. Here is a big review comparing all the GeForce 4 series cards and the ATI 8500 and 7500 series cards.

Seems the GeForce series outperforms the ATI's in about all the benchmarks.

2. svtcobra

svtcobra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 875

So why would I have to be "open-minded" to ATI's cards?

3. SuperCheetah

SuperCheetah TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 868

I agree that the newest Nvidia offering is whipping up on ATI's best offering in the benchmarks. But benchmarks are only good to show to your friends. If your a hardcore gamer then I say go for the GeForce cards, but for a great all around product then the ATI 8500 is the way to go, IMO of course.

I personally am not all about benchmarks and two more frames per second, so I look for the better quality product and I believe that is the ATI card.

Svtcobra and I seem to clash on this arguement, but you could make a solid arguement for both cases I suppose. I respect your decision cobra, I just want you to see my argument as well...

4. SleeperDC

SleeperDC TS Rookie Posts: 193

Re: Re: GeForce 4 vs. ATI 8500 and everything in between

LOL, i am close minded to Nvidia's card.

i feel they always like speed over quality.
    while i like quality over speed.

3dfx is the best!!

5. SleeperDC

SleeperDC TS Rookie Posts: 193

yea, that's what i am trying to say

6. svtcobra

svtcobra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 875

I see it..

I think you may misunderstand me a bit..I prefer Nvidia over Ati..Thats really it. I have some bad experiences with Ati, I think their product is hampered by poor driver support and I think there marketing is a little bit to sexist for a computer product.

I guess, they have always been associated with "value" as well. Im not one to buy something cause its cheap. If Im getting a good deal on something thats one thing, if I buy something that is always cheap, I usually regret it.

7. SuperCheetah

SuperCheetah TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 868

I understand where you're coming from in a way svtcobra. I personally don't have anything against the two companies, but if I did have a bad experience with one of them it would probably turn me off from their product also. Thankfully I haven't yet had this problem.

I wouldn't really say the ATI is cheap. Sure it costs less than the Nvidia card, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the quality is not as good. I personally can't realistically afford a GeForce 4 now, so the ATI 8500 is the best alternative for me right now.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.