Excellent wireless connection, but can't access Internet in browser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Netbook Acer AspireOne
Router Trendnet TEW-432BRP

I was hoping someone could help me. I've recently got the internet in our apartment, and are having problems connecting to the router. Firstly, there is no problems connecting with an ethernet cable. Secondly I've connected two other laptops wirelessly by changing the TCP/IP from automatic to
ip address: 192.168.1.100
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1
Thirdly, i can connect to every other wireless i've come accross

My netbook now shows -signal strength: excellent -status: connected. However I am unable to connect to the internet.

Some other problems of interest is
- it times out when I try to ping 192.168.1.1
- I cannot acces my router by typing 192.168.1.1 into my browser
- And the wireless DHCP is not enabled

I have tried factory resetting my router, re loaded the software for it. But to no avail. I've attached my ipconfig /all.

If anyone could shed light on this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

i'm not sure but this is what i would try:

Make sure wireless is turned on, on the laptop as some have a switch specifically for that.
Make sure that you do not have a third part wireless network connection program running.
From start, settings, click network connections. right click you're wireless connection and select properties, click the wireless networks tab, make sure the box is checked where it says "use windows to configure...". then below that click and remove all the preferred networks that are there. then click okay and attempt to reconnect to the network via searching for available networks and double clicking your desired network.

This sounds like a firewall problem. Make sure all firewalls are turned off in the router and on your netbook.

Repost with results.

-- Andy

Make sure all firewalls are turned off in the router and on your netbook.

I would not recommend that.... with High Speed internet, its a real good way to catch malware quickly.

Why not recommend starting right here... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914440?
(xpnetdiag)
It can save a lot of time diagnosing network issues, and will even automatically correct many of them!

Bookwyrm, we're troubleshooting. I'm sure for the few minutes we go without a firewall, the probability of being infected is NIL!!

Turn off all firewalls and see if you get Internet acess. If not, turn them back on.

-- Andy

Thanks guys, I'll try all those, and hopefully one will work. Also My house mate just told me her wireless isnt working as well. She was browsing through the history and thought it was. So may be a router problem.

Bookwyrm, we're troubleshooting. I'm sure for the few minutes we go without a firewall, the probability of being infected is NIL!!

Turn off all firewalls and see if you get Internet acess. If not, turn them back on.

-- Andy
Strongly disagree! It has been documented that attacks start to occur in less than three minutes
of making a connection! In addition, a firewall will normally not interfer with the DHCP setup, albeit there are those that do.
Woopie; for an agressive FW just : allow in/out any any port 67,68 and that's that

Did you notice the O.P. has used static settings? BAD choice for most people.
The Network Wizard or Wireless Network Wizard should be used as a first attempt.

Secondly, the user admits that DHCP is off -- wrong choice as every User's Guide I've seen shows.
The WiFi setup is performed from the WIRED connection to set
SSID, router address and DHCP range to be managed. The encryption can come later.

Sounds like a bad case of RTFM to me.

bookyrm said:
Why not recommend starting right here... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914440?
(xpnetdiag)
It can save a lot of time diagnosing network issues, and will even automatically correct many of them!
YES! That's the correct approach, although I've
always just used the native commands to test this stuff, eg: Bacic Networking 101

• 1:- First, PING 127.0.0.1 (the nic card itself)
    This proves your NIC is operational

2:- Next, PING aaa.bbb.ccc.101 (your public ip address)

3:- Follow that with PING $GATEWAY (as shown by the previous ipconfig). You should NOT see Request timed out.
    This too should look like
    Reply from $GATEWAY: bytes=32 time 104 ms TTL=64

Congrats! Steps 1-3 have proven you have connectivity and routing to your ISP.

The next step is to verify you can use NAMES instead of ip-addresses. This transformation/lookup occurs in the DNS (ie: Domain Name Service) where all those Internet domains are registered (btw: there’s many places to register, but accessing any one will (finally) get to the one with the name you’re looking for OR return can't find jun-k-bix.com: Non-existent domain.)

In your command prompt enter IPCONFIG /ALL
    Near the bottom you will see (usually) two lines associated with the label DNS Servers . .
    Whenever your system requests site-by-name, the operation flows like this:

Request foo.com --> Gateway --> DNS address
    Returns the ip-address thereof <-- Gateway <-- DNS
    Request ip-address-of-foo.com --> Gateway --> off into the WWW
    Reply from foo.com <-- Gateway <-- foo.com

4:- Now prove that your browser can find pages using a name rather than an ip-address:
    PING WWW.GOOGLE.COM and you should get something like

Pinging WWW.GOOGLE.COM [66.102.7.104] with 32 bytes of data
    Reply from 66.102.7.104: bytes=32 time=98ms TTL=238

Notice that WWW.GOOGLE.COM was translated into 66.102.7.104

Once you’ve come this far, your TCP configuration is valid for your ISP. :giddy:

So its once connecting to the wireless network fine.
I ran the Network Diagnostic for wireless, and it came up with check the manual of the router for trouble shooting.
I turned my firewall off, with no change. But I cant access the router. If I cant ping the router, or view it in the browser, is there any other way to see its route menu.

Thanks again.

Sounds like your router is toast. I encounter this from time to time in my business. The modem or router simply died or developed a defect in a particular. They're cheaply made and it's not uncommon. I see it routinely in my business.

Borrow a friend or neighbours router and see if that works. If it does, then your router is defective.

-- Andy

Stronly disagree! It has been documented that attacks start to occur in less than three minutes
of making a connection! In addition, a firewall will normally not interfer with the DHCP setup, albeit there are those that do.
Woopie; for an agressive FW just : allow in/out any any port 67,68 and that's that

Did you notice the O.P. has used static settings? BAD choice for most people.
The Network Wizard or Wireless Network Wizard should be used as a first attempt.

Secondly, the user admits that DHCP is off -- wrong choice as every User's Guide I've seen shows.
The WiFi setup is performed from the WIRED connection to set
SSID, router address and DHCP range to be managed. The encryption can come later.

Sounds like a bad case of RTFM to me.

YES! That's the correct approach, although I've
always just used the native commands to test this stuff, eg: Bacic Networking 101

• 1:- First, PING 127.0.0.1 (the nic card itself)
    This proves your NIC is operational

2:- Next, PING aaa.bbb.ccc.101 (your public ip address)

3:- Follow that with PING $GATEWAY (as shown by the previous ipconfig). You should NOT see Request timed out.
    This too should look like
    Reply from $GATEWAY: bytes=32 time 104 ms TTL=64

Congrats! Steps 1-3 have proven you have connectivity and routing to your ISP.

The next step is to verify you can use NAMES instead of ip-addresses. This transformation/lookup occurs in the DNS (ie: Domain Name Service) where all those Internet domains are registered (btw: there’s many places to register, but accessing any one will (finally) get to the one with the name you’re looking for OR return can't find jun-k-bix.com: Non-existent domain.)

• OK ...
    1. Come up fine

2. could not find host. Please try again

3. Ping could not find host....

So how can I resolve the connection problem?

Thanks

Sounds like your router is toast. I encounter this from time to time in my business. The modem or router simply died or developed a defect in a particular. They're cheaply made and it's not uncommon. I see it routinely in my business.

Borrow a friend or neighbours router and see if that works. If it does, then your router is defective.

-- Andy

Thanks will try. Also the 3rd wireless comp on the network, works fine, but that was connected 6mths ago, at a diff address. Would that make a difference?

Yes, it does make a difference. Now I'm not so sure the router is defective. It could still be but I would expect no computer would connect wireless. You say one still can. hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm ...

The one computer that connects wirelessly, can it access the router?

-- Andy

The easiest way to see if the problem is the router is to bypass it and connect directly. IF you can connect like that, then either the router has gone bad or there is a problem with the settings.

Simman26, please do not leave a file in document format. ipconfig.docWe do not consider that safe to open.

Bobbye, we already established that his Internet is working. He can connect to the Internet via the router by ethernet and one of his laptops can connect wirelessly. That's why we're working on the router and firewalls.

-- Andy

OK ...
1. Come up fine

2. could not find host. Please try again

3. Ping could not find host....

So how can I resolve the connection problem?

Thanks
There seems to multiple persons attempting to help you, so I'm backing out to avoid confusion, complexity and divergant approaches.

Your report above places all of the configuration in doubt ....

Bobbye, we already established that his Internet is working. He can connect to the Internet via the router by ethernet and one of his laptops can connect wirelessly. That's why we're working on the router and firewalls.

-- Andy

So called the Router helpline, and there going to send a new one. So its cable for me for a while. Thanks for all ya help.

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back