Excessively High Core i7 920 D0 Temperatures - /w Noctua NH-U12P

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyPe-ZeRo

Hello, I've been having a problem with my Core i7 temperatures.

First off: I fully understand that Core i7's run notoriously hot, however these temperatures are unacceptable considering the aftermarket heatsink + fan, CPU revision (D0), and VCore voltages I have setup for my system.

After lowering my CPU's VCore voltage to 1v, STOCK Clocks (2.66GHz~), reapplying Arctic Silver 5, reseating the Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 heatsink, I still get temperatures of 65c load! I should be getting MUCH cooler temperatures with this setup, around 50c or below load. Please help, i'm racking my brain trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with this.

My case airflow should be fine, though my wiring isn't as organized as i'd like.

(Note: In that picture, the left fan is pointing so that the air would be flowing inward. I have since turned back so it is exhausting hot air to the rear exhaust fan)

My system specs are as follows:

Case: Lian Li 7B Plus II
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 LGA1366 Revision D0
MOBO: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
RAM: OCZ Gold 3x2GB DDR3 1600 (7-7-7-25)
VGA: Visiontek ATI Radeon 4870 X2
HDD: WD 250GB (Upgrading to 2x SSD's in RAID0 in Dec.)

Hi Type,
assuming that you applied the thermal compound correctly, make sure that all the corners(fastening points) are secure. I have seen a number of instances where one of the fasteners was not secure and with the weight of these HS/F's, if it tilts, or pulls down just .001" from the CPU heatspreader, it will cause problems. I laid one machine on its side and the temp went down 18C.

Hi Type,
assuming that you applied the thermal compound correctly, make sure that all the corners(fastening points) are secure. I have seen a number of instances where one of the fasteners was not secure and with the weight of these HS/F's, if it tilts, or pulls down just .001" from the CPU heatspreader, it will cause problems. I laid one machine on its side and the temp went down 18C.

Thanks, I tightened the clamps/ that hold the CPU on the motherboard down as tight as I could, reaching the point where I might start stripping the bolts. I removed the AS5, switched the CPU heatsink the opposite side to see if the contact points are better.

I now hit 61c. With Prime95. Still too high for stock speeds, low voltage, and this cooler.

easy on the bolts though, i just meant to make sure that the mechanical fasteners did not have a problem. don't crank down on them that hard, or you can crack the pcb. I see you are using core temp...have you tried any other temp monitoring software? if not try this one and see if you are reading the same temps. http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
also, have you checked what temp your bios is reporting?

easy on the bolts though, i just meant to make sure that the mechanical fasteners did not have a problem. don't crank down on them that hard, or you can crack the pcb. I see you are using core temp...have you tried any other temp monitoring software? if not try this one and see if you are reading the same temps. http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
also, have you checked what temp your bios is reporting?

I've been using Core Temp and Real Temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back