Exchange server for home use: help?

rednek

Hi
I recently aquired a Dell poweredge600c box onto which I've had server2003 and exchange 2003 installed.
I've been quoted to have the box installed on my home network, but I'm running out of budget so I'd like to have a crack at it myself and hopefully pick up some knowledge along the way.

I have a simple(ish) home network - most of which is either wireless or wired through the mains power network.
The Dell server has 1 NIC, but I have another I can install - I'm told I need 2.

I'm at a loss as to know where to start, ie, how to plug it all in, and from then how to configure it all.

I'm told the server needs to sit in the DMZ, this true? If so should I fit it with AV software? (recommendations here, please!)

Also the box is noisey, and might therefore live in the garage and need to be accessed remotely from another terminal in the house. This possible?

Could I get away with cabling the server into the modem/router via the mains electricity route or, better still, via a wireless router I have sat upstairs in a cupboard?

What would be really useful is if someone who has carried out a similar installation can offer advice, tips, pitfalls, etc. Also if I could be pointed in the direction of some kind of Exchange home-user for complete *****s guide, that too would be very useful.

First, go to Dell and download ALL the available drivers for that model Service Tag. They also have pretty decent setup instructions.
This system is not all that different from what you are used to... so do not be intimidated with it because it is "new" to you. Simply start out slowly, and become comfortable with how it works... add and remove as needed, but slowly. Don't add the second NIC until you know why it is needed.
The noise is caused by a high speed, rugged power supply that is designed to run 24 hours without interruption. You can replace that power supply with a quieter model that will work just as well, but may not have the 3-year long life of the current one. But yes, it is often useful to have another terminal at your desk IF you can control the dust and heat in the garage.
You will likely need more instruction than can be posted here, but there are plenty of good ideas available with a Google search.
Your thinking on this project is very good, however.
One thing I would do is call Dell support, and ask them to send you a copy of the install disk that came with that model. It will have the latest service packs. But all other drivers will only be available via download.

back to the top: - - What are you attempting to do?

LOTS of users at home run nicely w/o either win/server or exchange server. These are
commercial systems for companies with many employees.

A DMZ is a problematic solution as it exposes all systems connected to that router to
the entire set of direct Internet attacks, which may cause a complete wipeout of those systems
and the necessity of rebuilding or restoring everything - - are you ready to accept that level of risk?

I run a small ad-hoc network of computers - mac and pc, my wife works from home and uses a pc and a pda, both kids have pcs, I have a recording studio with macs and pcs, and an office with a mac, and an iphone. Ideally my wife and I would sync contacts and calendars; we'd all have completely separate email so that kids dont get to see parents' mail; and a better system for organising back-ups, music libraries, net logging is what we need to move into.

All of that can be done w/o Exchange or winServer and that makes Network Login unnecessary.

There's a lot to learn, so best wishes ....

There are better Mail servers to use if you want to go this route at home.

DeskNow (comes in free an pro versions) I've use it before and it's easy to setup / run @ HO
Kerio MailServer
IceWarp Mail Server (use this one prior for years)
MailEnabled (this mail server is free if you use the standard)

The big one for me is syncing calendars, and a better system for organising email.
I've used Server2000 and Exchange before, but in a support role rather than doing the initial set up. I know enough to be dangerous, but not enough to be able to configure it without help.
I'm sure there are lots of other systems out there which do a similar job, but I've paid for Exchange and Server, and I'd really like to make a go of it. To have become familiar with it will only be of benefit in the future, particularly in terms of me wishing to be a 'useful guy to have around'.

Anyone successfully implimented a similar system? I'm just looking for a starting point, really.

@Kcircyrd, Many thanks. The box is now fully patched up. I'm still googling. There are plenty of folks keen to extract money from me to go on a course - understandable, but I'm keen to learn from scratch - I retain information better that way. If you have any pointers, or come across anything which may be useful, do please pass it my way, I'd be grateful.

Back