TechSpot

EXE Problem and Windows Media Center

By wee1man
Mar 1, 2010
  1. I need Help i have did something to windows7 . Everytime i open up an exe file eg. my documents , my computer , games, malaware bytes, anything really that uses an exe ,
    the problem is that when i click to run any of them Windows media Center is set as the default program , i think it was a virus or my stupidity , but windows media center trys to open the programs even Avira so i need to to change the default program for opening them how do i do this , i cannot use system restore i have tried and have no back up images , i have tried the repair by pushing f8 at start up , i have reinstalled windows using the up grade method but it remains the same i cannot run malawares bytes or avira or spybot search and destroy when i try to use them they open up with windows media center which will not execute the programs , hope this is enuff info.

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Use your Windows 7 disk in R for Repair Mode... not R for Recovery... and it will replace the damaged parts of Windows while leaving your install and other programs alone... although you will have to reinstall some updates...

Works well. Do a google search or live search at Microsoft for the how to.

3. wee1man

wee1man TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 60

thanks raybay problem solved cheers , i just reinstalled windows thanks m8

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.