Expand wireless coverage on my first floor

By rosso711
Oct 19, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hey guys,

Would love some help with this if you can. I need to expand my wireless signal in some way. Below is the situation:

1st floor:
    My router (LINKSYS WRT54GL) is in the living room. I have the latest DD-WRT firmware for my router on it. The router is place below the TV in a cabinet. Though for some reason the first floor has full bars wherever i go even with the cabinet closed.

I have the following connected on it with ethernet cables:

• SAMSUNG C7000 3D LED TV
    • MY PC

2nd Floor:
    Here is basically where my problem is. I dont have any wireless coverage here, sometimes one bar but keeps dropping. This is where i would like to expand my wireless coverage. How do i go about doing that? I have

3rd Floor (Attic):
    Here i have my desktop PC. What i did when the house was building, i asked the electrician to have 2 Ethernet cables passing through the pipes and ending up in the living room so i can connect them directly to the router.

I have no idea what i have to do, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,156   +598

see this for ideas
    You can use your household a/c wiring to deliver wifi to a remote room where you connect
    an Access Point (or another wifi router) and connect devices to it.
  3. rosso711

rosso711 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Isnt there an easier way? someone told me about range expanders but have no idea how they work
  4. nismo91

nismo91 TS Evangelist Posts: 899   +15

basically the range expanders just repeat the signal from your WRT54GL router. I mainly use linksys for these kind of stuffs, but i just want to say i don't recommend the Linksys WRE54G. Had 3 of them, 2 of them fails after a while (including the one with LAN port).
  5. rosso711

rosso711 TS Rookie Topic Starter

can you suggest one range expander that will work with my Linksys WRT54GL?
  6. nismo91

nismo91 TS Evangelist Posts: 899   +15

i really have no idea about range extenders to recommend. common brand such as Belkin F5D7132, D Link DWL G710, NetGear WGXB102NA should be compatible with your linksys router, since many of range extenders are designed to be 'universal'.

if you're fine with a little configuring and more cables, i highly suggest you to use access points like jobeard mentioned. you will need to buy a AP such as linksys WAP54G, and then set it to act as a repeater to repeat the wi-fi signal back to your WRT54GL.

Linksys Guide

p.s. i am no expert in this field, might want to wait for others recommendation.
  7. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,156   +598

IMO, Post#2 is as easy (and reliable) as it gets.
  8. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

Your second floor you could run APNs (access point networks) this is what I do. So one good clean non-interference (clear of site) spot could give your dwelling the coverage it needs. Really don't want to use repeaters as it would be a flip/flop signal and you won't be happy with the results using the main wireless APNs as site survey for the repeater to connect to. When I do that my overhaul radius coverage is reduce where as if I use wired connection GIg to Gig APNs so that 802.11n is gets the right throughput. I run both 100mbps, 1000mbps, 802.11g and 802.11n. Here. Below is Layout 7 and now up to Layout 10 which has additional 13 wireless nodes. Nodes = devices.