Explorer 7 problem ......

By jeffncris
Jan 16, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suddenly my computer refuses to go to my homepage, it just times out and gives the old "404 not found" error. My homepage is www.cnn.com. I have Zone Alarm firewall and anti-virus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, Bazooka, none report problem when scanning. It will go to any other page, just not my homepage. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help!

jeffncris
  2. jeffncris

jeffncris Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

C'mon guys! Surely someone out there has seen this before.....I'm gettin a tumor here!
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,354   +302

empty the browser cache and then

run->cmd /k ipconfig /flushdns

quit the browser and restart it
  4. jeffncris

Tried that, no luck.....
  5. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

Check the list(s) of blocked websites, adverts, firewall etc. It is probably listed in one of those, or you could have been HiJacked, in which case you should go to the Security Forum
  6. jeffncris

I can connect through a proxy server but it is incredibly slow..... what exactly does that tell me???
  7. klaw24

klaw24 Newcomer, in training Posts: 23

If u can connect through a proxy server, it seems to suggest that the site www.cnn.com has been blocked, perhaps by your ISP or maybe some rogue program has placed this address in your hosts file.
    Check the file 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts' to see if it contains the entry for CNN. This is a hidden file and you can open it in notepad.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.