Explorer crash when changing shortcut icon ... replicable

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgorbach

Hi,
I seem to be having a problem on a rather new xp install of explorer crashing when i change the icon for a start menu shortcut (any). This happens once on every boot of the system, on the first or second attempt i make to change an icon. I get teh following messages in sequence

Application popup: Explorer.EXE - Application Error : The instruction at "0x015f5380" referenced memory at "0x015f5380". The memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Application popup: Explorer.EXE - Application Error : The exception unknown software exception (0xc015000f) occurred in the application at location 0x7c9431a0.

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

After I click ok to both of these, explorer DOES NOT terminate, it continues working OK. Icon is changed succesfully!
This wasnt happenning from the beginning of my windows install ... I dont really understand what might be causing it. The problem happens every time, and the error messages are EXACTLY the same every time (both addresses).

I also seem to be having another problem (maybe related?) ... 3 of my places list icons in the winzip extract dialog always get corrupted (i can see them but they are distorted/pixelated). Fixing the icons with iconpackager works temporarily, but the problem returns on next reboot.

Would someone be so kind as to offer me any suggestions with regard to either problem? They are driivng me nuts!

Michael Gorbach

Your Winodws may be infected by virus or faulty ram. Attach the following files at any webspace. I will study your log and dumps.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\drwtsn32.log
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\user.dmp

hmm ... im startig to get suspicious.
Iv noticed 2 more crashes in different programs now ... ones iv never ever seen before.
Im starting to think maybe theres a RAM problem.
Could the RAM memory break over time somehow?

Heres something else strange ... drtwsn32 is not on my system.
I just copied it over from another but i cant get it to be used as the debugger so i can get a dump.

Another error crash iv gotten when trying to change a shortcut icon as above ...

Application popup: Explorer.EXE - Application Error : The instruction at "0x03115380" referenced memory at "0x03115380". The memory could not be "written".

What does it mean that these 2 address are the same?

ok .. im noticing something strange when running chkdsk. It says: errors found: CHKDSK cannot continue. I tell it to run with /F and set it to check at boot time. The boot time check completes. I run chkdsk when the computer reboots and i get the same message! Chkdsk cannot fix the disk error? What does that mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back