explorer Crashing

By daniel161
May 15, 2007
  1. HI everyone, this computer was infected with a little bug "Trojan" and about half way through the "Avast" scan, explorer (icons and start bar) went away, I thought that it was just low memory during the scan, but now its all over, and after a re-start, it happened again in about 5 seconds, I can open the "Windows Task Manager" and try to open/run explorer again, it opens, then closes, a few times, then just goes away. Any one have an idea?

Computer is XP SP2, 512mb ram

2. mikescorpio81

mikescorpio81 TS Rookie Posts: 293

Disable all start-ups and non-microsoft services through msconfig. Reboot and if you don't have the problem, go through msconfig again and re-enable some at a time, rebooting after you re-enable each.

If it comes back after you have re-enabled a particular start-up program or service, you found the cuplret. If it doesn't, it may be deep within the registry and consequently difficult to fix.

Try what I have suggested first, and if it helps we'll go from there. If not, post back and we'll try some other stuff :grinthumb
  3. kitty500cat

kitty500cat TS Evangelist Posts: 2,154   +6

Please go and read this and then post a fresh HijackThis log as an attachment into this thread. Then we should be able to remove the malware.

Regards :)
  4. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 923   +11

kitty do u ever get the feelling u just want the posts? most do and everyone else would be better off if u would go away.
  5. kitty500cat

Sorry, I was just trying to be helpful. It sounded like the trojan that he had might still be interfering.

Where exactly do I post too much? I'd like to know.

Regards :)
  6. daniel161

daniel161 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 80

Thanks very much for your help, I found the bug, and it would not delete, so I system restored it away....

Thanks anyway!
  7. mikescorpio81

Easy mate ... that's a little harsh don't you think? :knock:
  8. kitty500cat

Well, sorry if I tread on your toes, Mike. ;)
  9. mikescorpio81

I meant Nick was being mean to u!
    It sounded that way! :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.