Explorer errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello all I am new to this site i have looked at the thread for explorer errors and have tryed all the suggestions on the board but to no avail. I have had no problems in the past but all of a sudden when I try to open one of my movies I am getting an explorer error and my media player shuts down. I have tryed the changing thumbnails to tiles (didn't work) I have tryed regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll (also didn't work) this problem just started today all other files open i.e my music and game files just not my movie files. If anyone has any other suggestions it would greatly be appreatiated thank you

p.s I have also scanned my computer for viruses and spyware using ad-aware, trend micro and avg I have just learned with abit more investigating that it is only my avi files that will not play mpeg mp3 etc play just fine I downloaded a converter this afternoon that I got rid of and have had the problem since

You will need to provide more information in order for someone to help diagnose the problem.

- For starters, suggest you Edit your Techspot profile and fill out your System Specs to describe your computer make / model etc with the information asked (plus anything else you think important) wtih other informaton. To get everything on youir computer Start -> Run. Enter msinfo32. A window opens with a massive amount of info. Select the high level which describe your computer.

Next you need to "walk us through" the problem. What is the sequence of things/key presses you are doing? What windows is it generating until the error. Then describe the error message in detail

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name USER-76C2411DDD
System Manufacturer VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model P4M800-8237
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~3059 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 7/26/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name USER-76C2411DDD\bobbi
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 446.42 MB
Available Physical Memory 125.70 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 957.03 MB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

here are all my specs
and for sequence I open my documents (left click) then go to downloads (left click) then choose a movie I would like to watch (left click) I have my media player as my default player so after i choose the movie then my media player opens then I get the error windows media player has encountered a promlen and needs to close we are sorry for the inconvenience. Then I try to open the movie with power dvd and get the same error PowerDVD has encountered a problem and needs to close we are sorry for the inconvenience. I downloaded DivX player and the movies will play in that player. I hope this is of further assistance to you.

The converter program that you installed/uninstalled probably loaded some older codecs that replaced ones needed by WMP and PowerDVD. What versions of WMP and PowerDVD are you using? Also take a look at these links from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234019/
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/troubleshooting.aspx

Reinstalling WMP should install proper codecs.

Other thoughts:

Are you current with Windows Updates/patches?

Go to Cyberlink website and search support for solution:

http://www.cyberlink.com/

Another possible solution is to do a System Restore to before the problem started.

I use FFDSHOW as my video decoder/encoder/filter and have never had a problem with viewing any video format on any media player.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/ffdshow.cfm/rev__610__20061201

As for media players, VLC Media Player is excellent.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

back online and catching up on the threads

:grinthumb to crawdoggie for his reply. Also sounds to me like a codec problem.

Codecs are algorithms for encoding/decoding both the audio track and the video track in a media file. Understanding/getting/keeping all the codecs correct can be real chore. I also use VLC which doesn't rely on codecs for playback.

If you want to learn / figure out more about codecs and the codecs required for a particular media file these are a couple useful tools (in addition to ffdshow)
- Gspot
- Avicodec
You'll also find a good guide/tutorial at the Avicodec link.

So bottom line, the problem doesn't look like it's really related to Explorer and the download.. but rather your media player and its ability to playback media files (try searching again using keywords associated with the media player, playback, and .avi files. You'll likely see lots of hits about codecs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back