Explorer.exe failure lead to disk error

By Jake Barr
Jan 16, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I installed a theme, which apparently messed with the explorerframe file or something. At first when I restarted my computer I got an error that said explorer.exe crashed but after a while it evolved into a disk error message. I cannot log onto my laptop at all. What could I do to stop this, since I can't get beyond the 'disk error. press cntrl + alt + del to restart' message?
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,682   +153

What are the computers specs?
  3. Jake Barr

Jake Barr Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

128Gb crucial m4 sdd. 8gb ram. Intel pentium 2.1 ghz processor. Win7 x64 home premium. It was working fine until I tried using the theme. Like I said, I think it did something to the explorerframe.dll. I am pretty sure my drive works. I would do system restore but as of now it won't let me beyond the error screen.
  4. Tmagic650

Malware or virus attack? Can you reload Windows fresh?
  5. Jake Barr

I don't think it was a virus or anything. previously I had been fine. How would I reload it fresh? I do have backup disks.
  6. Tmagic650

Well you have to be able to get into Windows don't you... You are going to have to take this to a friend or repair shop. To someone that knows computer repair well
  7. Jake Barr

I still have the sata to usb cable and my old hard dive. Could I put the old hard drive in and wipe my ssd and use the back up disks to restore it?
  8. Tmagic650

You could try that...
  9. Jake Barr

Would it be a better bet to take it to a technician?
  10. Tmagic650

Yes it would :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.