Explorer window pops up After logon at fresh Boot

By Liquidlen
May 5, 2005
  1. I had to do an premature rebuild and I am back .The new Box is working very well,although I had to downgrade some Specs due to finance constaints( I wasn't ready yet)
    Anyway, When the computer boots,immediately after logon, an Explorer window(Same one) pops up .Nothing else weird occurs.

I am running Win 2k-Sp 4 (Clean load),all up to date.I am behind a Switched Router with Zonealarm Pro ,3 machines on this Lan.(Same system I have used for 3 years,very reliable)
    Anybody seen anything like this ? I did a search here,nothing.
    I am running all the standard AVG,Spybot and Adaware.and it looks clean.
    Somebody jump on this.
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Hi Len,
    have a look at these possible startup-locations, most likely it is in one of them:

Also Windows sometimes has a habit to reboot and then reopen the programs that where open BEFORE the reboot.
    Make sure to close Explorer before you shut down.
  3. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 1,094

Thanks Real;
    I knew about(and searched) the bulk of that list ,except here;
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell
    The value of this key is set to C:\Winnt\explorer.exe
    But I am not going to touch it without some guidance. Is this seperate from my normal boot to Desktop/Start Menu, and then I can run Explorer from right click>Start button?
    In other words can I remove this value from that key?
    Does this Key/Value exist in your machine?
  4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

My key there only says: Shell REG_SZ Explorer.exe without the path.
    This in a brandnew install of W2K/SP4 with all MS updates. (I changed mobo, so I had to).
    It should be save to take the path-name out.
  5. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 1,094

Mine is the same now also , but the Explorer window still pops up.FYI it is always the 'D:\Progam Files" folder 'for my own Admin user logon.My simple user logon does not do this.
    I am stumped , so I am off to the Internet search, in the meantime I'll listen to any ideas!
    Also on that same Reg file above there is a setting for ' Auto Restart Shell" which I turned off-no change.
  6. dctruitt

dctruitt TS Rookie

I had this problem for several months and finally got tired of closing the Explorer window that popped-up. I downloaded the trial version of Custom Startup ( and I noticed that in the list of start-up entries, the "(Default)" value for "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" contained "-Hide Window" (or something like that). I deleted that value (not the key) and when I restart, no more unwanted Explorer window. Hope it's that easy for you too!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.