Explorer wont start

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattyn21

Hello all.

I have recently come across a problem on my PC.
When ever I start it up my comp, explorer.exe wont start and it leaves me staring at my blank desktop (no Start toolbar or folder icons)

I can access the task manager and run - explorer but it dissapears a second later and the screen is blank again.

If I run - explorer maybe 5-6 times the ACTIVE DESKTOP RECOVERY white screen comes up along with all the other normal desktop icons. That seems to be the end of it.

However when I open up Internet Explorer and enter my desired URL, the moment I hit enter the screen closes down. This goes on forever. The only way I have found my way around this is clicking by on a link in my email 4-5 times until the website actually loads.

Now I have re-installed Windows with my service disk. I have ran repairs etc.
I have scanned my computer with Kaspersky 2-3 times, scanned with BitDefender, scanned with Spybot S&D, scanned with CounterSpy, scanned with Ace Utilities.

I have also ran - sfc /scannow and completed that process.

While I have found a few viruses and cleaned them up, the problem persists.

Please help me!
Im in need of a solution ASAP as Im in the process of some serious overseas deals with work and if I cant fix this my only option is to purchase a new PC.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Use Kaspersky or Bit Defender. Not both.
Get rid of Spybot and Ace Utilities. CounterSpy isn't much good. You don't need them with Kaspersky.

I use Kaspersky mainly.
I only used BitDefenders online scanner. I havent actually got that installed on my PC.

I added Spybot and Counterspy after this problem as I was trying to get rid of it.

Spy bot and Counterspy have picked up viruses Kaspersky has left behind. Why are they not needed?

My father-in-law had a similar problem with windows (XP SP2) where not only would explorer.exe start up then stop every few seconds, both firefox and iexplorer (k-melon didn't seem to be affected) would get bogged down with popups. Turned out he had inadvertently downloaded a variant of smitfraud. You could try a program called smitfraudFIX. siri.urz.free.fr/Fix/SmitfraudFix_En.php Run in safemode. Be sure to follow the directions on the site exactly. If smitfraudFIX doesn't work, your next resort would be COMBOFIX techsupportforum.com/sectools/sUBs/ComboFix.exe A tutorial on combofix can be found at bleepingcomputer.com This program for the most part will find any trojans, malware, and rootkits on your computer and remove them. Sorry about no links forums won't allow me to post them.
WARNING: Both smitFraudFix and ComboFix are very intrusive, use with caution. Hope this helps.

Check the Shell value for Winlogon in your registry. Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
should show:

Shell........REG_SZ........explorer.exe

Or download this tool: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/XP_FixLogon.zip
This utility checks for the correct GINA value in the Registry and will allow you to restore it, if its incorrect.

If you are using the Internet Exporer 7 download, uninstall it. Reboot, then reinstall it. That usually clears the way

Not really important about IE6 (except that you should do MS updates

How did the regedit thing go?

HJT log is old version

Also don't paste it, attach it
Please remove (via edit) that log

I can't it's too old

Also it must be attached

Also you must remove it (through edit)

This is a repeat

Note: I'm not interested if you aren't !

You have all these going on

Kaspersky Internet Security
Spybot - Search & Destroy
BitDefender Online Scanner
F-Secure Online Scanner
CounterSpy

I'd say remove all, except Kaspersky (depending on the expirer date of Kaspersky Internet Security)

Actually go to Display properties and remove any wallpaper and also any web wallpaper
You shouldn't have an "Active Desktop" anyway

You could also set Windows default theme

No one can help?

I have updated my browser to IE 7 and downloaded Firefox as I cannot access Internet Explorer (It opens, starts to load and closes)

Here is my latest HJT log.

Internet explorer didn't work BEFORE I installed Firefox.

I did a complete re-install with my WINDOWS disk.

Should I buy a new comp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back