External 60GB drive is empty and shows 10MB in Explorer

My friend had her laptop hard drive replaced by some company. They did not copy her documents and pictures to her new drive so she asked me if I could do it for her. I told her I would slave the drive to my machine and see if I could read the old drive, if so, I could probably retrieve the items and save them for her.

It is a 60 Gig Hitachi Travelstar Hard Drive. I put the hard drive in my external USB case and plugged it in to my Laptop running VISTA (SP-2) I also plugged it in to a Windows XP Pro machine. The new drive was detected and I was able to see it in My Computer as "Local Drive (E)", the File System says "FAT", and the Disk size shows the capacity as 10.1 MB, (Used Space 1.26 MB - Free Space 8.83 MB). When I open the contents of this drive, it is empty.

In Computer Management, Disk Management, this is what is visible, where Disk 0 is my internal drive, and Disk 1 is the Slave Travelstar:

----------------------------------------------

Disk 0
Basic
298.09 GB

1.46 GB
Healthy (EISA Configuration)

TI100721V0E (C)
287.79 GB NTFS
Healthy (System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

8.84 GB
Healthy Partition
Disk 1
Basic
55.89 GB

(E)
55.88 GB FAT
Healthy (Active, Primary Partition)
CD-ROM 0
DVD (D)
No Media

When I click on the (E) Partition it shows in the rectangle box, all gray diagonal lines.

I am trying to understand some things:

1. Why is it only showing up as 10 MB in My Computer and 60 GB in Disk
Management?

2. How can I see the entire drive and retrieve the data?

3. Can I make this drive show up as a removable device and be able to read it?

I am a little confused, please and thanks for any help you might be able to provide!

try this,
Go to my computer and right click on the drive you have set up as slave drive. Go to properties-then security-then click on advanced tab near the bottom of that page-then click on owner tab-then on edit-then choose the owner you want to have access in this case you Administrators mine says (Tman-PC\Administrators) and then click apply. You will have to close all the windows down and reopen them and you should be able to see anything that was hidden or unaccessable on the drive.

Hope t works for you.

Back