External build without CPU cooler?

Ok, so I have my components (motherboard, cpu, memory, power supply, video card) for my external test build, but I won't be able to complete the build until christmas. I want to test the components to make sure they work and I need to do it fairly soon so that I can return them if any of them aren't working, but I don't have my aftermarket heatsink yet. My question is whether it's okay to quick do the external test build without a cooler on the cpu, just to make sure things work, and then put it all away again until I can complete the build. I would think that the cpu wouldn't get too hot if I'm just booting up and waiting for the motherboard's splash screen to appear, right? I just want to make sure it's safe to do this. Also, don't know if it makes a difference, but the components for the external build are:

ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AMD

Sapphire Radeon HD 6870

OCZ Fatal1ty 550W

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T black edition

G.Skill Ripjaw Series 4GB (2x2) DDR3 1600

There's no way I'd power up a system without a cooler on the cpu. Do you have the stock cooler for the 1090T?

When I ordered it it said OEM so I assumed no but now that I look into the specs it says heatsink and fan included. It should be coming tomorrow so I can see for sure then. Would it be best to test it with the stock heatsink, then remove the thermal paste and install the aftermarket heatsink once I have everything for the full build?

You'll be fine with the stock cooler for testing. My FX8120 was an OEM part but did come with the stock cooler, hopefully yours will too. Then as you said, you'll need to clean and reapply new thermal compound when you get your new cooler.

Also, welcome to Techspot ... see that you just recently joined up :)

Wont boot

If you try to boot your system without a cpu cooler connected the system will not properly boot. Its a safe guard to prevent your cpu from overheating.

Back