TechSpot

External hard drive broken shows up in device manager but not My Computer

By luvbugbub03
Apr 12, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I have a Western Digital 250 GB external HD that had been working perfectly until yesterday afternoon. It has been making this repetitive whirring noise *not the clicking noise of death* and it died before I had a chance to copy the data onto another external. When I plug in the USB it makes the connection noise, but autoplay does not come up and it does not show up in my computer anymore. I did look in device manager and disk management and it does show up but it had no drive letter and it says unreadable. (I've attached a screenshot of this)

i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i359/aadickinson88/ss2.jpg
    i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i359/aadickinson88/ss1.jpg

Is there any way I can recover the data off of it? Should I just take it out of the enclosure and hook it up to a desktop pc?

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,630   +321

It sounds like the drive itself is dead rather than the enclosure. The repetitive 'whirring' noise likely is immediately following the click of death, just the click is pretty quiet on a lot of notebook drives. If yours is a full size (3.5") drive in that enclosure, then perhaps you are right and the click of death isn't occurring.

In either case, its not going to hurt to hook it up internally, because even if it doesn't work you aren't any worse off than you are now.

3. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,374   +167

I agree with SNGX. The disk may have failed. Removing the disk from the enclosure and testing it internally or using a USB adapter cable is worth a shot.

fyi.. i did find some info on MS website about "Unreadable" status in Disk Management HERE. p.s. your USB external is a "basic" disk

4. Row1

Row1 TS Maniac Posts: 359   +9

possibly overheated

the 2nd external hard drive i set up, one where you put your own drive in, died i na short span of time - a couple months.

it had no cooling, or venting. i think it just got too hot.

5. luvbugbub03

luvbugbub03 TS Rookie Topic Starter

It is a 3.5" I think I am going to hook it up and see if I can salvage anything! Thanks for your help!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.