TechSpot

External hard drive does not show up in Explorer/My Computer

By nubki11a
Dec 17, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello everyone!

I just built my new computer and everything seems to be working fine hardware-wise. I put in my old hard drive which still has Windows Vista 32-bit on it. It booted up fine (booting up and shutting down is extremely slow though), I installed some of my motherboard drivers (LAN driver, USB drivers etc.)

I am going to install Windows 7 Home Premium on it as soon as I have backed up some important documents, music and programs. However, my external hard drive (USB) does not show up in My Computer! I checked the Hardware panel thing (Apparaatbeheer), and it does show up there. Is there any other way I can access it or are there any fixes? I tried deleting some HighFilters in the registry, but this caused my PC to go in a reboot-loop.
    Could I transfer files over a LAN-network to my laptop?

I have just installed CrashPlan, could I use that to back-up all my files? I don't want to pay for it and my upload speed is quite low (around 700kB/s and I want to back up over 22GB).

TL;DR: I cannot see my external hard drive in Windows, is there any other way I can access it, or backup my files (22GB+)?

I can provide any additional information.

Thanks in advance!
  2. nubki11a

nubki11a TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 49

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.