External Hard drive is not detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

girishrane

Hi ,
I have this Iomega 500GB external USB hard drive it worked perfectly until I visited India. I took this to India and i tried to hook it up to my laptop it was not detected no power light nothing. I though may be because of 230v input, But power adapter does support input 120 - 230 v. Anyways it didnt work so I just removed it and thought will check it once i'm back here in NYC. After coming back I'm trying and it is same. No light and its not detected on my XP laptop. what went wrong?
I thought of adapter? But power adapter is working, I connected to another device (digital frame) and shows power. I tried to connect to another laptop its same result
It worked flawlessly when i connected last time. I think that enclosure is gone or is it that Hard drive it self is gone? Can someone experienced throw some light?

Regards
Gary

Can someone tell me how do i find out whether the enclosure is gone or Hard Drive has been crashed? I think its an ATA drive inside.

A number of things could have happened:

1) it could have been placed around a strong mangetic force that could have corrupted the drive inside during your trip.

2) the drive could have been tossed around to much and possibly even tore the disk

3) the drive could have been surged when you first plugged it in

either way, i would certainly check to see if your warranty will cover it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back