External hard drive not recognized in Disk Management

I have a Simple Tech Pininfarina 320 GB external hard drive that is no longer recognized by two different PCs, even under disk management. When plugged into the USB, the PCs do try to install the driver, but fails. It is recognized under Devices and Printers as Unspecified and with the information Model-Simple Drive, Category - Unknown, and Status-Software is installing for this drive. The troubleshooter searches for a driver, but does not find one. Basically I get the information that "There is a problem wiht the driver for USB Mass Storage Device. Reinstalling the driver might fix this problem." But I cannot find a driver for this hard drive.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

The system is telling you that there is a problem with a USB driver, check in the Device Manager for any yellow warnings. Under Universal Serial Bus Controllers you will see a driver for USB Mass Storage Devices, right click and uninstall it then reboot, Windows should reinstall it, or go to the motherboard's manufacturer's site and download and install the latest chipset drivers..

There are two other possibilities, the hard drive has failed or the circuitry in the enclosure has develpoed a fault.

Remove the hard drive from the enclosure and (if you have access to one) hook it up to the internal connections of a dektop PC. Or, purchase a USB Hard Drive Adapter (about €10) from a computer store or eBay and then plug it into the USB connection on any computer and see if you can then access the drive.

Back