TechSpot

External hard drive not recognized

By Waldy
Feb 4, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi, I have just tried to format my 80GB External Hard Drive to FAT32 as I wanted to use it on a Sony Blu-Ray player, I did this on a Windows Vista Laptop. About an hour after I started fomatting it I got an error message saying that the "Volume is too large for FAT32"

Edit: Thought it would be prudent to add that I attempted to format it using the cmd program.

So I plugged the hard drive into my Windows 7 computer however now my computer cant even recognise the hardware as an external hard drive. It thinks that it is a CD Player of some kind. This means that I cannot simply format it back. And I have my suspicions that I managed to delete the format that was already on the Drive (NTFS)

Can anyone help? I am really struggling here.

2. Buckshot420

Buckshot420 TS Enthusiast Posts: 467

When attempting to format a FAT32 partition larger than 32 GB, the format fails near the end of the process with the error you received.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938432.aspx

Either Partition the drive 32GB FAT and the rest leave non-partitioned or you could do 32GB FAT x2

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.