TechSpot

External hard drive not recognized

By Waldy
Feb 4, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi, I have just tried to format my 80GB External Hard Drive to FAT32 as I wanted to use it on a Sony Blu-Ray player, I did this on a Windows Vista Laptop. About an hour after I started fomatting it I got an error message saying that the "Volume is too large for FAT32"

Edit: Thought it would be prudent to add that I attempted to format it using the cmd program.

So I plugged the hard drive into my Windows 7 computer however now my computer cant even recognise the hardware as an external hard drive. It thinks that it is a CD Player of some kind. This means that I cannot simply format it back. And I have my suspicions that I managed to delete the format that was already on the Drive (NTFS)

Can anyone help? I am really struggling here.

2. Buckshot420

Buckshot420 TS Enthusiast Posts: 301

When attempting to format a FAT32 partition larger than 32 GB, the format fails near the end of the process with the error you received.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938432.aspx

Either Partition the drive 32GB FAT and the rest leave non-partitioned or you could do 32GB FAT x2