External Hard drive not reconized

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was using my external hard drive(seagate barracuda 7200.11) this morning but later today my hard drive just isn't being recognized. When i plug the drive in it doesn't read it all. Its not showing up in my computer or the disc management. The computer just doesn't believe this thing exists.

I've checked the autoplay and usb ports with other devices and everything is fine.
I tried on another computer and it still doesn't read.

I have pulled the hard drive apart to make sure there is not damage or if the cords have been pulled out internally. It looks fine.

I've also tried restarting several times.

I've also set the 'logical disc manager' & 'logical disc manager administrative service' to automatic.

The drive isn't making any strange sounds, i hear the fan going and the disc spinning.

i'm really at my wits end with this.
if anyone could offer some advice i would really appreciate it.

thank you
hayden

1) Start here
See [post=720762]Troubleshoot: Windows Won't Recognize Your USB Hard Drive[/post]
Is your drive being detected in Device Manager?
>> You see it both as a USB Mass Storage Device and a Disk??
>> Or just USB Mass Storage?
>> Or neither?

Note USB isn't as simple as just plug and play as often assumed. Other issues can be involved. e.g. your external USB drive is a "high-powered" USB device. Does it have it;s own AC adapter? Is AC adapter plugged in? Is device USB cord plugged directly into your computer's USB port to start?

Also see
See [post=744411]USB Device Problems? Check for Windows Updates[/post]
See [post=752196]How to Check Hardware / Connection Issues with your USB Device[/post]

/* EDIT */
Oops. Just noticed your "still doesn't read on other computer" comment so i'd narrow troubleshooting to still look at
>> Windows Update
>> USB Power issues (AC adapter plugged in? USB port and swap USB cable)
>> Still identify what yoiu see in Device Manager on each machine

i was using my external hard drive(seagate barracuda 7200.11) this morning but later today my hard drive just isn't being recognized. When i plug the drive in it doesn't read it all. Its not showing up in my computer or the disc management. The computer just doesn't believe this thing exists.

I've checked the autoplay and usb ports with other devices and everything is fine.
I tried on another computer and it still doesn't read.

I have pulled the hard drive apart to make sure there is not damage or if the cords have been pulled out internally. It looks fine.

I've also tried restarting several times.

I've also set the 'logical disc manager' & 'logical disc manager administrative service' to automatic.

The drive isn't making any strange sounds, i hear the fan going and the disc spinning.

i'm really at my wits end with this.
if anyone could offer some advice i would really appreciate it.

thank you
hayden

What happens if you connect it to another system? Some Internet Security suites will block access to a external drive if it has malware on it. I know my does this to protect my system. You can check the power supply unit with a multi-meter unit to see if the AC volts/watts are correct. But remember as mention these units don't last forever.

You could go into the device manger and uninstall all the USB drivers or controllers and if you do so when you reboot Windows will re-install them thus this usually repairs a lot of issues with USB devices. Sometimes USB drivers for OS get corrupted.

thanks guys i just took it into store and got it serviced, not sure what was wrong but now it works like a gem.

thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back