External hard drive not seen in disk management and computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
i bought a 250gb samsung external hard drive ,when i connected it to the usb port my computer could not detect it either in disk management and my computer ,so i decided to rebot the computer and go to the bios ,i could not also see it in the bios.funny enough my friends computer could easly be seen when connected both in the disk management and my computer

please help me .am currently running windows 7 build 7077

USB drives dont show in BIOS.

The USB adaptor may be USB 2 and your USB may be usb1 and as such is having trouble seeing the drive.

Or your USB sockets or drivers are faulty, try another USB device in them

Altho i'm not yet familiar with Windows 7 i'm sure the following still apply. Start by

1) Start by verifying your external disk by checking if the drivers get installed in Device Manager (check both USB and Disk device drivers) See [post=720762]Troubleshoot: Windows Won't Recognize Your USB Hard Drive[/post]

2) Make sure you have all the latest Win updates applied See [post=744411]USB Device Problems? Check for Windows Updates[/post]

and just a note if i might clarify: USB 2.0 is backward compatible so a USB 2.0 drive should still be recognized and work even in a USB 1.x computer. It will just run very slow (i.e. it will perform like a USB 1.x external device)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back