External hard drive to internal IDE drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a kaser 500GB external hard drive, i belive the enclosure is messed up because the transfer speed is only usb 1.1 speed and i've tried everything possable to change it. I was wondering if i could remove the case and just use the IDE drive as an internal drive? I want to try this first and if its not possible than i'll buy an enclosure.

Go ahead and do this... Make sure you pay attention to master/slave settings if IDE or the SATA connections if the drive is Serial ATA

Master if its on its own channel, Slave if you are tying it into the same channel as another drive. If there is another drive on the channel make sure you set it to master and the one you are putting in as slave. Alternatively you can set them both to CS, but I always feel more comfortable with them explicitly Master and Slave.

I put the drive in but it said "insert media and boot" and "restart to start normally" or something similar (i didnt write it down) so i couldn't start windows. did i do something wrong,any suggestions?

This former "external" drive should be a slave drive to your original boot (C) drive and not set up as the boot drive as it seems to be now. Recheck that the "external" drive is set to Slave... Also make sure that the C drive isn't set to Cable Select (CS)

Success, all i was missing was a jumper clip, so i found one and set it to slave and now my slow usb external hard drive is a fast internal ide hard drive.

Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back