External hard drive won't show on computer

DaMaluJordan

I have a 2TB Western Digital My Book 3.0. Earlier today, I connected my external hard drive to my computer, and it showed up without any issues. After I safely removed it, I stored it away. When I took it back out, the end of the USB cable that is attached to the hard drive, not the end that goes into the computer, came out of the hard drive. If you look at the picture in the following link, you'll see what I mean. It's the part that says "SS" in this picture:

http://demo.idg.com.au/pcw/MyBook3.jpg

That little vertical rectangle-like piece came out with the wire, and it was attached to the end of the wire. I put it back into the port, but now I can't access anything on my hard drive. I can still turn my hard drive back on. I just can't get any computer to access it. I'm guessing something got messed up in the connection.

All my data should still be on the external hard drive. Is there any way that I could retrieve the data?

Yes, that connection on the external hdd is pretty much worthless. here are some thoughts...

1. get really small pliers or paperclips and attempt to remove the plastic "chunks" in the port.
2. attempt to RMA the drive, see if WD will cover broken USB3.0 ports as part of the warranty.
3. if all else fails, disassemble the external enclosure, remove the hard drive & hook it up as an internal hdd in your PC.

Hope this helps, take care!

Back